Vintage fly rod - where to get valuation?

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Essexkiwi

Vintage fly rod - where to get valuation?

Post by Essexkiwi » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:00 pm

Like it says on the tin, where's the best place in NZ to get a valuation of an old cane fly rod to see if it's worth selling?

I have an old A & NCJL (Army & Navy) makers cane rod, three piece with a spare tip and a thicker cane tube with brass ends that the tip sections are stored inside. Appears to be a steel centre type, all in the original old canvas rod bag. Clearly old but I have no idea exactly how old.

Any advice on where to go for a valuation on it? Cheers

fraser hocks

Re: Vintage fly rod - where to get valuation?

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:58 pm

Sorry to say, but I don't know of anyone that values rods in NZ. I'd say that it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

A word of warning that many people consider that if it's old it's worth a fortune, when they really only hold sentimental value. On a weekly basis I see people advertising old rods for crazy money, and they always get re-advertised for a few months before failing to sell.

As an example, only last week i saw a 15+ year old rod for sale on TM for $100 more than the brand new version of the exact same rod sells for.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

iank

Re: Vintage fly rod - where to get valuation?

Post by iank » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi , Army and Navy stores closed in the early 1950's so it is a fairly old rod. Also if it has intermediate bindings between the guides it is likely to be 1950's as most of the British rodmakers stopped doing these in the 1960's . Unfortunately the older British rods are not worth much money as there slow action is not preferred these days. ( by comparison some of the early US rodmakers built fast action rods which fetch a lot of money these days. ) Unfortunately its value these days is mainly as a wall decoration , maybe $100 - $150 , which is unfortunate for what is a nicely crafted rod.
iank