Trout Farming on the table, and F&G national Council thinks thats good???

Issues affecting our sport...
fraser hocks

Trout Farming on the table, and F&G national Council thinks thats good???

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:29 pm

Trout Farming to be considered

Words are not enough to explain my disappointment in the national council over this one!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Re: Trout Farming on the table, and F&G national Council thinks thats good???

Post by TIDDLER » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:41 pm

"ON THE TABLE ...." ... Nice play on words !!

YOUR RIGHT TO BE CONCERNED FRASER ! .... Al

marlsounds

Post by marlsounds » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:47 pm

If they voted for fenced pheasant preserves at last weekend's meeting, surely privatising trout farming is just around the corner if we don't collectively push back on any proposals. Is everyone a member of NZFFA? That's a good place to start. https://nzffa.com/become-a-member/ Just like for the Tahr cull, we're going to need to show mass dissatisfaction to win this battle.

icthusiast

Post by icthusiast » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:24 pm

In a similar vein...

Is anyone familiar with this place: https://hookwanaka.nz/ ?

I just heard about it from a non-fishing friend having a wee bit of bragging fun. She told me there was no requirement to buy a licence. I have to cnfess I was a little bit dumfounded
  • Are these not considered sports fish?
  • Is there a difference between this and a Pheasant preserve?
  • Does F&G have any jurisdiction here?
Am I just mis-informed and over-reacting? Anyone able to relieve my ignorance?

All the best
GarthS
<"}}}><\

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Yea that's a complete cluster! F&G made some huge objections for a variety of reasons, mostly around water quality in the Cardrona steam (the best line to take to try to protect the stream), which is still under huge pressure. Unfortunately F&G have essentially no jurisdiction, they can only battel it in the courts at a considerable cost. They battled hard, but the judge in environment court (no doubt with links to farming) approved it. On top of that the guy that applied then drove a range of machinery into the river, which he was not consented to do, and did it repeatedly until ORC took him to court and I understand he did some jail time for.

The fact that the place even exists proves to me that corruption is alive and well here in NZ. I consider throwing rotten eggs at the place every time I go past. :evil:

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Here you go.

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/wanaka/le ... g-riverbed

The guy is obviously a complete pillock. He put his first application into local council for the development with a statement that F&G support the application, when he hadnt even spoken to F&G. A bullshit artist with no regards for anyone but himself. Hope he rots in hell! (sorry lads but that whole debacle makes my blood boil)

icthusiast

Post by icthusiast » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:59 am

Thanks, Fraser.

Very interesting. Is this classified as a 'salmon farm' then?

I fully understand the cost of litigation argument but, in principle, fishing for sports fish (wherever, and wherever they have been raised) should require a licence shouldn't it? Or am I missing something?

If a licence is required, F&G could post someone outside the gate to confiscate illegally taken fish from everyone exiting the property? 8-)

Of course, if for some reason it doesn't require a licence, then I'm just as full of it as Mr & Mrs Lee!! :roll:

All the best
GarthS
<"}}}><\

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 am

Without hi jacking this too far... I think that there is a loophole in the fishing farming license that allows you to sell the fish caught by the punter, as if they were in fact caught and presented to you by the fish farm. Leastwise - I presume as such, as every operation I have seen in NZ has done the exact same thing.

While I don't know the history of Cameron Creek post floods (which I remember well) I know it has always flowed through the paddocks above the current tourist operation. It would also appear that Mr. Lee has managed to retain a great number of rainbows and browns from the Cardrona as there are hundreds, if not thousand's of fish outside of the salmon ponds. Not sure how he gets away with that - possibly F&G don't have time to contest it?