Taupo-Indicators continued

The fabled waters...info and reports here
Southshore

Taupo-Indicators continued

Post by Southshore » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:44 pm

Dead Budgie indicators or shuttlecocks still prevalent on the Big T and elsewhere?. In clear water they must frighten the hell out of the fish. I read recently where a Taupo guide uses globug yarn to make his and soaks them in dry fly ointment for a week so they float. I had a look at this and found that it was so simple to do, you could tie a tail on it and call it a ferret. A length of cotton wool with a double overhand knot slipped over a piece of globug yarn and tied tight. Wool goes into a vice to create tension and the yarn cut off as you would when making a globug. Soak the indicators in something like Selleys Water Shield and Bob's yer Uncle. Attach one to a leader slider and Charlie's yer Aunt. Photos on request.

Jaapie

Re: Taupo-Indicators continued

Post by Jaapie » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:18 am

A lot of the guys use Mucilin for exactly the same floating qualities.

Soak your dries in it, let them dry overnight or whatever and they are unsinkable.
The globug yarn works really well as an indicator if that's your thing.

Thanks for sharing.

Southshore

Re: Taupo-Indicators continued

Post by Southshore » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:51 am

Hi Jaapie. yeah any floatant/water proofing seems to work. I have mucilin but it's not the liquid variety, however I melt some on fingers and rub it onto dries which works fine. At Spotlight you can get a bag of pompoms in all colours and sizes so the small ones can be looped with wool and used. They are made of synthetic fibre which complies with the Taupo rules on strike indicators. In 1984 we used 1cm diameter orange plastic/polystyrene balls with mono threaded through the middle. I think the current regulation is wrong, the restriction should have been on size, not material. Cheers