Tongariro 2022

The fabled waters...info and reports here
Southshore

Tongariro 2022

Post by Southshore » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:34 am

Hi Anglers. Wondering how the winter season will go with all the problems associated with and a result of Covid-19. Now travel restrictions have been eased, is it reasonable to assume Aussie fishers will be keen to get over here again?.
My feeling is that the damage caused by the accidental or irresponsible release of this nasty virus is going to take a long time to repair. Stay safe out there.

Andy W

Re: Tongariro 2022

Post by Andy W » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:26 am

Think if you check with Ross Baker at the TRM in Turangi, he has forward bookings from West Islanders aplenty.

mjl

Post by mjl » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:08 pm

There has been two full seasons of postponed plans and Australian lock downs and travel restrictions have limited alternative options. People are ready to travel again. Without isolation and a low risk of getting trapped if boarder rules change, I think visiting angler numbers will be pretty much back to normal. Especially by the up coming summer.

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Thu May 12, 2022 6:35 pm

I'll get back to the big T next March and I'm tying up some nymphs now (for something to do during the winter). I found a new style of pattern for my long-time favourite, the Galah, based on the American Pink Squirrel steelhead nymph. During the 1980's we only used two nymphs, the Galah and the Flashback. I will tie the new version with a silver bead up front, a body of rabbit fur ribbed with red wire and a pink collar (no tail). It will look very similar to the pic attached. I'm following Greig Sports on Youtube and it looks like the Tongariro is pretty quiet.

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat May 14, 2022 1:35 pm

Hi Southshore that looks good. What size are the hook and the bead. I have a friend heading up to the Tongariro and she wants some flies tied. Also what did you use for the pink collar.
Thansk
Dave

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Tue May 17, 2022 4:37 pm

Hi Dave, that's not my fly but the American Pink Squirrel which is similar to the Galah. You will find patterns for the Squirrel online if you search engine the name. On the Galah I use teased out pale pink wool with a silver mylar tube wingcase. The body is thinly dubbed rabbit with no rib or tail. I would suggest to your friend to call in at one of the fishing shops at Turangi and see what's catching fish - a Globug is always a good first-up one to use if you're not sure. Hope this helps.
https://www.flyfishingforum.co.nz/viewt ... alah#p6523

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Tue May 17, 2022 8:10 pm

adding to the post above, I tie the Galah on 10 12 & 14 hooks. The smaller ones seem to work good as a dropper to a heavier nymph on the tip (double nymph rig). On early T trips we tied 2 nymphs (Galah and Flashback) on those 3 sized hooks and interchanged them - between the 3 anglers in our group, we probably averaged 20 or more trout per day just using 2 patterns. If the river was discoloured, we reverted to glowbugs as a last resort.

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:31 pm

A flock of Galahs ready for the river.