Good Reading

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Southshore

Good Reading

Post by Southshore » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:29 pm

Our little library in Christchurch has turned out to be a little gem for fly fishing books and I have been working my way through them when not out fishing – what could be better. Although I haven't fished with any of the authors, I have fished with some of the people in their books. I started with and thoroughly enjoyed Derek Grzelewski's trilogy of “The Trout Diaries”, “The Trout Bohemia” and “The Trout Dreams”. With all the places he talks about in his books, places we have both fished, I wonder why we never met on a river – perhaps we did. I have learned a lot from these books and If you see them, borrow buy or steal them, you won't be disappointed. Ivan Wilson's “Fishing, A Thread” followed, then Greg French's “The Last Wild Trout” and “Flyfisher's Chronicle” by Neil Patterson. I could, and probably will, reread all of these and more to come. In my meagre collection of fishing books are Tony Orman's “Trout & Salmon Sport in New Zealand”, John Parson's “Parsons' Passion” Keith Draper's “Trout Flies in New Zealand” and Norman Marsh's “Trout Stream Insects of New Zealand” which I bought for my father-in-law Angus, a keen fly fisherman still going to the waters into his nineties – he was creeping towards a century when I took him up to the Tongariro and we whooped with joy on having double hookups. It was his last fishing trip and I eventually donated his flyrod to the Tongariro National Trout Centre for the kids to use on the Hatchery pond. Other books, some gems I purchased from Bryn Hammond, have gone to fishing clubs in Christchurch. While there is a tremendous amount of video on youtube, I still like to sit by a fire with a rum & coke and a good book to read.

Angus at the Tongariro Cliff Pool hooked into a good one

Kiwioz

Re: Good Reading

Post by Kiwioz » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:10 pm

Hi Southshore,
I'm with you nothing, like the the touch feel and stimulation of a good book! I have a modest collection of NZ fly fishing books. I offered free to any forumites some duplicates I discovered I have back in the lockdown days but had no takers - happy to pass them on to you if you pm me your address, (or anyone else if you are not interested).
I have available: Fly Fishing in New Zealand George Ferris, (I will keep my signed copy). Trout on a Nymph Tony Orman and Deceiving Trout the Flytiers Art, John Parsons. All classic NZ works by classic authors.

Cheers
Kiwioz

Author: Transit of Fiordland

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:21 pm

Thanks Kiwioz, I'll follow up on that. Currently down at Twizel and the fishing is very quiet. My pick would be the Ohau river from the outlet to Lake Ruataniwha - it looks absolutely brilliant. cheers

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Sun May 08, 2022 11:25 am

Just back from Twizel, saw some big trout but very little in the way of Salmon - I caught one taker only. Seems the best canal fishing is now below the Ohau/Pukaki dams and they are catching some big trout there at night. On the last day at Ohau A, I saw a big brown that would have gone 6kg+. Thanks for your offer of fishing books but I'm working my way through the local libraries. I'm sure somebody would appreciate having the very collectable ones you have. Cheers

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:53 pm

I've just finished reading an outstanding book by Peter Ryan, "Wild South - Hunting & Flyfishing the Southern Hemisphere". It is a book I could simply not put down - one of those rare things - and it is a book that does not go away from thoughts. It is a great account of a hunter & fisherman, husband and father, travelling to places and doing things that most of us can only share vicariously. It is also extremely personal, more than any other book I have read concerning fishing and hunting. Chapters take us away from the south, to Africa and there is quite a lot written about this continent which Peter fell in love with and understood better than most who don't live there. When he was describing his old rifle which served him well, it reminded me of my old BSA Majestic 30-06 and whether it's still being used today. Peter is from my era and I get the gist of what he is talking about. He lives not far from where I am today and I wonder if like me, he looks across to the Southern Alps and remembers what it was like in the bush.
This book is a must read.