Rods that bend through to the butt: Epic Fast Glass 580 or 476?

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Marc

Rods that bend through to the butt: Epic Fast Glass 580 or 476?

Post by Marc » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:12 pm

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some advice from you experts out there on the Epic Fast glass rods. I am no expert!!

I love rods that bend through to the butt when playing trout; it's addictive. This last season I've used a nymphing rod for most of my fishing, which bend through to the butt and provide a great deal of enjoyment.

I've recently sold off some trout gear and I am toying with the idea of a glass rod to further enhance that experience. I am not able to get my hands on one to see if I like the action; so I looking for opinions on the Epic 580 and Epic 476 in terms of fishing playing actions and possible restrictions in the maximum size of fish that one could hope to catch without being under-gunned.

Any other thoughts on other rods are also welcome.

I did have Scott G-series 5wt, but had to sell it as I just couldn't get along with it; which makes me think that glass might not be for me!!

Cheers

Marc

SuperJack.10

Re: Rods that bend through to the butt: Epic Fast Glass 580 or 476?

Post by SuperJack.10 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:35 am

Do you mean the Scott G-Series or the F-Series? The G-Series are carbon fibre, just a bit of a slower action to the Radian, Centric, etc. and the F-Series are their glass rods. I’ve never cast one but I don’t believe they go up to a 5-weight in the F-Series.

What is your most common fishing scenario? I have an Epic 580 and a CTS 476 glass rod (CTS previously made the Epic blanks so I believe this is probably not dissimilar to the Epic 476, although the taper may well be a bit different). I find the 580 a very versatile rod, but the 476 you are starting to get to a much lighter rod that is probably better suited to more specific fishing scenarios.

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:43 am

Sorry just re-read your post and you weren’t suggesting the G-Series was a glass rod, just that it’s a slower action and hence glass rods might not be ideal for you.

I haven’t fished the G-Series so can’t compare, but I found the Epic 580 relatively easy to pick up after fishing mostly 6-weight Scott carbon fibre rods. The main thing is to understand what kind of fishing you tend to do. I mostly use it for dry dropper fishing in medium sized rivers although it’s perfectly capable of an two nymph indicator rig if pressed - it’s just not built for that. If I am heading into a larger backcountry river where I need to punch into the wind I’ll still take my 6-weight carbon fibre rod.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:56 pm

Yea well put SuperJack.

Both excellent rods. With the Scott G series you have to remember that they are almost 2 rods in one. The 9' version has quite a deferent action to the 8'8" version. Iv have owned a few over the years and still own a 9' 5# as well as the 8'8" 4#. Most seem to prefer the 8'8" version if your wanting something closer to the action of a glass rod, while the 9' version is great for dry fly on larger rivers.

The Epic glass rods are outstanding as well. Quite fast by comparison to other glass rods, so don't expect a soft noodle. My wife has a Epic 476 packlight and its a stunning rod for small streams. You can use it for bigger rivers but wouldn't be my first choice. She got it, and the following weekend we fished the Oteri. She insisted on using it, which resulted in some hilarity :lol:

Essentially I don't think you would be disappointed in any of those rods, but comes down to what you want to do with it. IF you had the 9' 5# G series, maybe go have a cast of the 8'8" version as its a very different rod, and maybe one you will get along with?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Blackhackle

Post by Blackhackle » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:04 pm

I have the Epic 580-3, 580-4 and the 476. The four piece is the newer version of the 580 and the three piece is their original offering of a 5 wt. The three piece is a little more stiffer with a more flexible tip than the four piece which is more a progressive taper. I fish mostly small and medium sized streams and both get the job done although I think the three piece is better with larger fish as it is stiffer in the butt. If you fish smaller streams or spring creeks the 476 is great, you may also want to look at the Orvis Superfine Glass 764-3 which is very similar to the Epic 476. All three of these rods will handle trout in the 3-6 pound range which is what I normally run into but have landed bigger fish on them too.

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:58 pm

That’s interesting Blackhackle - good post. I have the original three-piece 580.

As mentioned by others I don’t tend to have any concerns re: size of fish you can handle on these rods. You definitely can’t quite put the same pressure on a big fish on a four weight glass rod as you could with a six weight of any kind, but I don’t catch enough trophies for that to be a decision making criteria! Have caught four to six pound fish on both the 580 and 476 and landed them quickly enough to feel like I wasn’t putting excessive stress on the fish (and I have a click and pawl reel on my 476, too, ie no drag). My main consideration is always what kind of water am I fishing and therefore what kind of fly am I trying to cast on this thing, and how far?