Was good while it lasted

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
mjl

Re: Was good while it lasted

Post by mjl » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:47 pm

I just looked at a news article on this that said non-residents bought 7000 out of a total of 138000 annual NZ licences. That is just 5%.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 am

Think about this though, are there any further checks made if (for instance) Fraser turns up a "resident" angler on the Mataura (or anywhere else) with a paper receipt and not a plastic license, more than a few weeks on from the date of the receipt? IE does F&G go out of their way to follow up someone with a paper receipt a month on from buying that license?

I was standing at the counter of my local fishing shop not so many seasons ago, when a tourist (very much so - backpacker van with its self-contained sticker on the tailgate was outside) came in to get his license online. He didn't bat an eyelid when asked - straight away he said resident. He even named an address in Springfield Road - not too far away from Lincoln Road where I was standing. Now it could be - he was a kiwi with a french accent who just happened to live in a boarding house in town, and drove an old Wicked camper van - but...

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 am

Good question Andy. WE (F&G Rangers) aren't worried as to what form the license comes as ie. paper, card or more commonly these days the PDF receipt on their phone. AS long as there is ID to back up that its there license then that part is ok.

In the instance that the "Resident License" is questionable this will be followed up by head office. Its happed a few times to for me when checking licenses. That still doesn't account for the non-resident's that buy a resident license and never get checked however. :(

Another point to raise is that generally the tourist angler is here to fish (and fish hard they do) where as I can name 4 different friends here in QT that each buy a season license each year, as once or twice a year they troll a lure out the back of their kayak when paddling on the lake. They put zero pressure on the rivers each year, yet make up 4 season license sales year. Sure this is all anecdotal but if you got any non-bias person to look into the pressure on the fisheries around here, they would clearly be pointing the finger at tourist anglers.

On an average day ranging id expect to check 8 non-resident license's to every 1 resident license. Sure that's down to the rivers that I go ranging on, as if I checked boats on the lake it would be far more in favor of the residents, but its pressure on the rivers that was causing the issues.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:41 am

Oh and in shocking news, I had to look for an unused beat on the Mataura yesterday. First time Iv had to do that this season. Seems like the locals realize there are fish in there 8-) I'm going to enjoy it while I can, as I expect next season il only want to go there to check licenses and see slabby bedraggled fish :(

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 pm

WE'VE THRASHED THIS DEBATE TO DEATH PREVIOUSLY !
N/Rs ACCOUNT FOR ONLY 5% OF OUR LEGAL LICENSES. MAYBE ANOTHER 1 OR 2% FOR ONE DAY LICENSES .
BY TARRING ALL N/R ANGLERS WITH THE ONE BRUSH WE ARE ONLY EDUCATING THE FEW OFFENDING MISCREANTS (of which many are residential ) IN THE WAYS TO OUTSMART THE SYSTEM .
WE DON'T MENTION RIVER NAMES YET ITS OK TO "ADVISE" METHODS OF TRANSGRESSION :?: :roll:
AL.

Sol

Post by Sol » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Hear, hear, Moore.
Maybe we really should give this theme a rest on this forum and concentrate on some constructive topics.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm

No, fair enough. Back to fishing right! :P

If only there were more days I had spare to fish this end of the season

Whio

Post by Whio » Wed May 05, 2021 10:10 pm

Johnno wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:56 pm
I’ll be up there for ten days come June...
Be keen to join you Johnno if you'd like some company. It's only a 2 and a bit hour drive away

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!