Canterbury Rivers & Streams

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
falsecasting

Canterbury Rivers & Streams

Post by falsecasting » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:33 am

Hello All,

New to "asking for advice" over the net but thought why not, everyone else is doing it.

I'm heading to the South island in the next week and are planning to do a bit of fishing solo. I'm planning on staying up near Arthur's Pass for 4 or 5 days. Just wondering how the fishing has been up that way this year, I've spent a little time in the south before but this is my first trip in this area.
It looks like the area is expecting a bit of rain but clearing up about the time i arrive and I'd guess that's positive.

Just after some tip if the area requires any, rod size, flies, weather, dry flies (too late)? Nymphs (large or little, weighted, colors?)
Does the area receive a lot of pressure this time of the year? Is it flogged by guides? Will a farmer give access to rives if asked?

Has anyone been in the area recently? I'd ask about what rivers but I'm tipping that's held close to any regular.

Cheers

Falsecasting.

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Canterbury Rivers & Streams

Post by Steve » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 pm

If the weather forecast is correct it'll be only lakes that are fishable I would suggest...

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:56 am

The rivers around that area tend to be highly mobile, with little food and shelter for fish. If you can find permanent water or shelter, then you will find fish. Look for an edge which hits a rock wall for instance, or the junction of a couple of rivers. Don’t be surprised if you don’t see many fish at all – often you will not see then unless their size is exceptional, but in general fish numbers are low (and that's not a local trying to put you off going for a look ;)).

As Steve says – the lakes fish well, and on the NC side of the hill have been stocked by NCF&G for the past 3 seasons. Don't overlook the Westland rivers and lakes while in the area. The biggest hatch of mayfly's I have seen in a while was on a small creek in the Brunner area recently, during a warm wet norwest rain day on the coast.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:04 am

Yep and as Steve said... its coming in. Down here in Queenstown we are into our second day of solid rain. Rivers rising at an alarming rate. The Shotover river just below my house rose from 6cmu to 106cmu in less than 7 hrs yesterday. Usually we cop it first as it heads north into Canterbury. Id say it will be lake edges only I'm afraid!

The morning news here has all been about the expected flooding and damage to come through the week. :cry:

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:38 am

The rivers around there haven't had the same pounding as those further south and on the coast.

So far there has only been 100 mm of rain up the Waimak head waters, and it looks to have peaked at 750 cumec's and is going down. The Rangi and Steve's local got more rain, and consequently came up further. Salmon fisho's will love it. I predict a rush of Friday sickie's as they all hit the rivers - more so in CSI as the season for salmon closes on the 31st.