Fishing Southland.

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Sagecaster

Fishing Southland.

Post by Sagecaster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi all. A mate & myself are heading to Gore on Wednesday, (28th). The current info is that most of the waterways in the area are fairly high & dirty due to all the rain lately. Any advice on better places to fish within driving distance of Gore? I'd hate to waste 10 days in the area. Another question is, does the recent rain affect Mavora lakes at all? It would be disappointing to come home without landing a few fish........Scotty.

fraser hocks

Re: Fishing Southland.

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:21 am

Yip everything is right up and mostly in flood. My advice would be to hire a guide. Their main job is to know the catchment and what will be fishable on the day. Comes down to having an intimate local knowledge of the catchments and what and when will be working. Unfortunately with such short notice you probably wont have much luck getting one so late in the piece. On a plus note the Thomas Green pub in Gore is a great spot to relax!

To put it into perspective a client of a local guide caught 19 fish yesterday, on a day when most had to sit in the bar.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:00 am

Ok, thanks Fraser. We can't control the weather, so we'll just have to play it by ear & hope for the best.
Thankfully, we both enjoy a nice NZ Shiraz.

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi Sagecaster - I presume you have accomodation booked and possibly paid for in Gore. If not, consider travelling for 2 - 3 hours and come to Central Otago - while most rivers here are also high there are dozens of lakes,irrigation dams and
ponds with good fishing. If you can shift, either look on the Otago F and G website for details or PM me.
Otherwise, if staying in Gore you'll have to travel to one of the southern lakes for clear water I suspect. If you can't find good fishing at least enjoy the Shiraz.
David

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:24 pm

Ok, thanks mate. All our accommodation has been pre booked & paid for. We rent a house 30kms out of Gore.
We'll just have to take what nature throws at us. Maybe Mavora Lakes would be worth a drive. Thanks for the advice.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Yeah, na. I'd stick to Australian Shiraz. We make magnificent white's but it's hard to beat the Australian red's. Our beer is miles ahead of Australian beers thought! Plenty of good ones to try while you're here.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!