If you were limited to one fly only - what would you choose for your local waters?

Anything to do with flies and fly tying
Maniototoflyfisher

If you were limited to one fly only - what would you choose for your local waters?

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:38 pm

In my area with a slow flowing river, lots of backwaters and dozens of irrigation dams I'd pick a corixa if I was limited to one fly for the whole season. Whether, if I used a non descript hare and copper type nymph or similar I'd do just as well I'm not sure. It sure would be frustrating not to have a CDC emerger, damsel or cranefly dry when the trout were feeding on the surface. However, when trout are not fixated on one food source there's not many fish that will refuse a corixa twitched in front of them.
What's your choice?

Johnno

Re: If you were limited to one fly only - what would you choose for your local waters?

Post by Johnno » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Easy. PTN.....

Boring I know, but it works. Everywhere.

Johnno

Re: If you were limited to one fly only - what would you choose for your local waters?

Post by Johnno » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Here’s my waterboatman...

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:22 pm

If I was mainly fishing the waters that you describe Maniototo then I would be using my #16 waterboatman with a creamy poly body and PT legs. Before it became illegal, I made a wingcase from a Kea feather but now have to make do with a substitute like peacock herl. the Kea was better.
So my pick would be the very versatile hare's ear spider tied in all sizes and weights. From a bottom hugging heavy nymph to an unweighted sedge it's hard to beat.
(ps I also like the PTN and would probably sneak one onboard) sorry

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Hummm would have to come down to time of the year. Narrowing it down to middle of summer I'd have to say a blue blowfly humpy. Early season or late season it would have to be a PTN tied Sawyer's original way.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:57 pm

If I was limited to two... the second would be a Black Spinner.... with a Hare and Copper as the backup.... 🤓

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:30 pm

You're cheating Johnno! Can you describe or post a photo of your black spinner please.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Black thread on a #12 to #18 hook, black saddle fibres for a tail, black superfine dubbing for a body and a black hackle. That’s it. Use it on your stillwaters high summer. You’ll see why I rate it.....

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:06 am

Thanks Johnno - very similar to my "grizzly dry" - I use a grizzly hackle rather than the black hackle. I also tie one with a stripped peacock herl body with black hackle. Both take lots of fish in stillwaters when midges are around.