Bi-Focals

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
peelproductions

Bi-Focals

Post by peelproductions » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi All,
Getting old and eyes are failing :(
Two things i tried late last year.
1) Brought a pair of cheap glasses, but found that it’s a real PITA to take off the polaroids and put on the glasses each time i wanted to tie a new fly on.
2) Brought a pair of clip on magnifiers. Worked ok, but a pain to wear with a hat and often get knocked off or bumped.
Thinking about a pair of bi-vocals. See Smiths do a pair of guides choices for about $300.
Any one using bi-focals, Brand? pros/cons?
What are others with older eyes using if not bi-focals ?
Sucks getting old!
John ah

Johnno

Re: Bi-Focals

Post by Johnno » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Bi-focals. Maui Jim is the brand I’ve got, but I wouldn’t think they’d be better or worse than any of the other higher end bi-focal polaroids. Like most, they come in at around the 350 plus dollar mark. They do a good job, about a 2x magnification. Saves poking tippet ineffectively at some blurry little hole at the blunt end of a hook....

canuck

Post by canuck » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:36 am

I use a pair of the Maui Jims that work well. I do find that if I am walking around on rough terrain, boulders etc that I end up looking down through the bifocal and that really messes things up. On flatter, easier walking ground they are great. I end up using a pair of cheap glasses and a pair of polarizers on the "boulder hopping" days and the bi-focal on the flatter ground.

I swapped out after being stubborn for awhile, but then realizing that it was taking me 5 minutes to change a fly, LOL.

Canuck

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am

Yip had the old presbyopia for a few years now :(

I purchased stick on bi-focal lenses and stuck them to my favorite fishing glasses. I'm a big fan of glass in my fishing glasses, particularly for the scratch resistance. I did look into the Smiths and they look like a great glasses, but the bi-focal's are plastic lenses not glass like the non bi-focal Guide Choice. I'm actually thinking of getting a pair of Guide's Choice, but if I do, il be buying the standard (glass lens) ones and sticking another pair of bi-focal lens's on them.

Might be a bit different in the bigger centers but down here when I asked at an optometrist for the stick on lens's they wanted to charge me something crazy. Was a fraction of the cost to buy them online. ;)

Defiantly agree with Steve as for wearing them when bolder hopping in the back county. I have a lanyard on all my fishing glasses (after loosing a very expensive pair that way in the 80ies) so I tend to just let them hang around my neck when hopping over bolders and pop them back on to spot.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Kiwioz

Post by Kiwioz » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Ironic how many experiences are common. I went down the path of switching glasses, magnifiers, bi-focals and now use transitions. I also let them hang on the lanyard boulder hopping and descending tricky spots as the lower focus section of the glasses distorts perspective. I initially had Tonic's (grey lens) but changed at similar eye popping expense for Maui Jims amber. Love the MJ's but the Tonics are a good back up. Smiths are reportedly very good. The expense was a pain at the time, but in the order of a new rod... and once they are worn a few times the pleasure outweighs the pain.
Cheers,
Kiwioz

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Yep they sure ain't cheap! Its like a lot of fishing equipment, it can be very expensive but usually the expense is for a reason.

I always find it interesting, particularly within our club that some are happy with an old second hand rod from a garage sale and others (myself included) tend to buy the best available. Each to their own I suppose, but I get a great amount of pleasure from having exactly the right kit for the right situation. Sure I cringe at the cost sometimes. I'm a Yorkshireman after all, but the pain of the cost is soon forgotten when you use the best product available.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Kiwioz

Post by Kiwioz » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Correction - by transitions I mean multi-focal. I think technically transitions are those that are photo-chromatic i.e. change with light conditions. Isn't there an old joke about if I pass on and my wife sells my gear for what I told her I paid for it someone gets an absolute bargain!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Ahh you’re a Yorkshireman Fraser... explains a lot! 😎.

I don’t use the BEST available, just what I see as the most SUITABLE, (which I think is probably what you mean, but being from the North Country no one can understand you anyway..... haha )

peelproductions

Post by peelproductions » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks for the reply’s.
Fraser, can you remember where you brought the stick on ones?
JohnG

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi John. As you will know from fishing with me I use clip on magnifiers. They do conflict a little with my hat but this is the best solution I have found. I have to wear glasses all the time and use bifocals for normal use but won't use then in rough going especially on th river (or in my race car) so use prescription polaroids with th clip on magnifiers on thee river. I used to take the clip ons off and clip them on to the peak of my cap but if you knock them off into the water they are gone.
Dave