Southland trip.

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Sagecaster

Southland trip.

Post by Sagecaster » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:22 pm

As mentioned in my previous post 'Nymphing Southland', a mate & myself will be in the Gore area for 10 days starting the end of November.
We're both keen Trouties, but have discussed the possibility of a day or two on the coast with the saltwater fly gear. I would assume the most prolific species encountered would be your Kahawai, (I hope I spelled it right).
Anyway, could someone give us a bit of advice on location, (not too far from Gore), other species & recommended flies. Bearing in mind that we are both senior citizens, so any extreme rock hopping would be out of the question.
Looking forward to some sound advice........Scotty.

fraser hocks

Re: Southland trip.

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:10 pm

Pick any river mouth really. Right now as the whitebait season is starting there should be good numbers. Fish an hour or two before the top of the incoming tide and maybe an hour after. Any whitebait style fly will work. I tend to go with a few strips of pearl flashaboo and a single strand of black tying thread left as the lateral line.

You will likely find some of the river mouths a little crowded at times with locals lobbing metal in the hope of catching salmon (chinook) at that time of year. You never know you might just hook into one as well, so dont go to light on the tackle your using.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Scotty

Get in touch with Dave from this forum, he is a local down there and will most likely put you onto some spots.

He's also the President of the Southland Fly Fishing club, so he'll keep some of his secret spots close to his chest. :lol:

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:45 am

Scotty. As Fraser said you may find kahawai at the Southland river mouths but it depends on water temperature. End of November may be too early. I have only chased them a couple of times and haven't had a great deal of success. The only one I have caught was on 31 December and at the Waiau mouth.
Dave

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks for that Dave. We're prepared to sacrifice one Trout day on the saltwater, so if we skunk out there, it will be back to the Trout. Are there any other saltwater species in that area worth targeting?
Also, have you any recent info on how Sth Mavora Lake is firing? We did well there in October 2015.......Scotty.