Bamboo Fly Rods

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
fraser hocks

Re: Bamboo Fly Rods

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 am

Glad to hear Triggs.

Yea a lot of people confuse cane with bamboo. There is a bit of history behind it but cane was the predecessor to what we now know as the bamboo rod. In the UK cane was pretty much THE rod. Then rod builders in the US got a hold of bamboo and revolutionized things. Bamboo rods went into mass production and at very low prices so were typically heavy (being solid rather than hollow) and mostly built in longer lengths which the material doesn't suit. So a lot of the older rods floating around on Trade Me and second hand shops are heavy old noodles and are less than a pleasure to fish with.

There are some older high quality, skillfully built bamboo rods floating around out there in second hand land, but its a minefield to find one and in a condition that doesn't need a major overhaul.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

iank2

Post by iank2 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:57 am

This is an interesting discussion. I have been building cane rods for friends , family etc in Nelson for the last 20 years , although arthritis has restricted my activity over the last 3-4 years. I anyone is interested in having a go at building a cane rod feel free to contact me , i have learnt most of the lessons needed and also have equipment sources and happy to give a culm of bamboo to anyone starting.
cheers
Ian Kearney

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Might pop over and see you sometime Ian. I build and restore quite a few glass and carbon rods. Need to step up to the next level.....

iank2

Post by iank2 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:04 pm

Happy to help Jonno, give me a ring some time 021998713