Before the rain came I went for a walk

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
TIDDLER

Re: Before the rain came I went for a walk

Post by TIDDLER » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:24 am

STEVE .... I HAVE READ YOUR LATEST BULLETIN AND LOOKED AT THE PHOTOS . A BLIND MAN ON A GALLOPING HORSE CAN SEE THAT THE PILES OF GRAVEL AND ROCKS DIVERTING THE CURRENT ARE NOT THE WORK OF NATURE - AND ARE IN FACT MAN MADE .
YOU'VE DONE YOUR BIT SO IT IS NOW UP TO STATE GOVT TO DO THEIRS .

ASSEMBLE ALL YOUR DOCUMENTATION (including the bulletin and above / below commentary ) AND FORWARD THEM ON TO JOHN KEY - YOUR LOCAL MP - AND - MAGGIE BARRY . I'M NOT MUCH OF A FAN OF MAGGIE BUT SHE DOES HAVE "TEETH".
AS THE PRINT MEDIA HAS ALREADY SHOWN INTEREST , KEEP THEM ADVISED .

BUILDING SUCH A DIVERSION WITHOUT OFFICIAL APPROVAL IS - AS YOU STATE - ILLEGAL . FROM WHAT YOU REPORT , DIVERSION OF ALL THINGS IS A SPECIALTY OF THOSE YOU ARE DEALING WITH .

SOMETIMES ITS BETTER TO WORK OUTSIDE OF THE TENT ...... GOOD LUCK ..... Al

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Ha Tiddler, thanks for that - you hit it on the head with this: DIVERSION OF ALL THINGS IS A SPECIALTY OF THOSE YOU ARE DEALING WITH . :evil: :evil:

Have already gone down this path - written to F&G head office, Maggie, to no avail. Problem is every one naturally believes what CSI tells them and because they aren't experts don't know any different...

Here are a couple of examples;

CSI say The “unconsented diversion” had been formed by the previous land owner and we believe may have been in place for 5 years.

The above picture is from Dec 2011, when the diversion was first found, the lack of vegetation or erosion to the side of the bank suggests it hasn't been in there that long - so why say it happened 5 years prior?

CSI also says Far from being “degraded” Deep Creek remains under natural flow conditions forming a dynamic, ever-changing braided system....

The main channel of the Rakaia river is a good example of 'natural flow conditions forming a dynamic, ever-changing braided system' while Deep Creek on the other hand is a very stable spring creek!

For some reason CSI have been determined to undermine any progress, and below is confirmation that it has worked;

The Ngai Tahu representative on the council says Ngai Tahu will oppose the fix – and in the meeting minute says ‘the work of concern was carried out 10 years ago which to him is a long time back. He noted that Deek Creek is eroding on its own natural course so it needs to be left to do it thing’

They need to be embarrassed into submission... :lol: :lol:

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:23 am

STEVE - YOU HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING .
IN NOT HAVING RIGHTED THE WRONG , YOU ARE PROBABLY LEFT FEELING DISEMPOWERED BUT IN RESIGNING YOU HAVE SHOWN EMPOWERMENT BY NOT BEING PART OF THIS NEFARIOUS TRANSGRESSION !
ALL I CAN SUGGEST IS - FOR THIS FIGHT AT LEAST - REMAIN OUTSIDE THE TENT .
STICK TO THE PRINCIPLES THEY DONT HAVE .
ITS THEIR SHAME !!

skunk'd_again

Post by skunk'd_again » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Steve, I like your passion and determination. The latter seems to be an all too rare quality with NZ anglers unfortunately. There's a lot of very knowledgeable anglers in this country, but for whatever reason very few are willing to make an effort to be a voice for the rivers. I can only hazard a guess it's down to feeling jaded in the system. But as we all know all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Some good points made above, hope you can find someone in the media willing to take it on.

From memory this has been mentioned before, but is there any way the diversion could be removed via people power at low flows? Dunno if that is illegal, but if it is, well it was just Mother Nature working her magic again wasn't it. :lol:

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:47 am

It is a very long story now, another side of this too is that we formed the FR trust with the goal to raise $$ specifically to fund freshwater environmental work, it started well with NC F&G and the trust sponsoring their Fish in Schools program.

In my opinion CSI has effectively shut down the fist two environmental projects; Deep creek and Bowyers stream through misinformation. So there is a lot of motivation for exposing what is going on in CSI...

marlsounds

Post by marlsounds » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:29 pm

@Steve I haven't been following this until the 2020 Lockdown so I'm chipping in well after your tremendous effort. And now half a decade on, I'm getting up to speed. This is a travesty and the loss of an incredible resource. I can only imagine the pain and grief for you and month others over this period. Well done in your just actions & persistence, despite the ignorance and subsequent loss to our fishery. I've signed up for Future Rivers and am making a list of other priority fisheries needing our collective voice. I'm happy to play any part I'm able to help protect our unique natural resource that is the envy of fishers the world over.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 pm

Good on you Michael, our fisheries need all the help they can get, with a lot riding on what the Govt decide to do re water in the next little while. Recently our trust has been involved with a group of likeminded individual focusing again on the Rangitata River, and trying to protect it and its fisheries values. A huge amount of time and effort has gone into this, and we've had some wins along the way, and our next step is to take a deputation to Ecan to ask that they put a Statutory Plan in place for the river. It seems that once a WCO is placed on a river, there's no monitoring to ensure the values that were protected are in fact being protected - many would argue the Rangi is in a degraded state, but because there is no monitoring, there is no evidence to prove that, so more water is taken, and bit by bit the river dies...