FOREIGN FISHING GUIDES ......

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
TIDDLER

FOREIGN FISHING GUIDES ......

Post by TIDDLER » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:09 pm

I'M NOT SURE WHAT TO MAKE OF THIS - NOT SOMETHING I'VE EVER STRUCK AND AT MY AGE AND HEALTH NOT LIKELY TO ( I tend to fish easy access water-my days of bush bashing and strong water wading are over ). I'M FORTUNATE THAT I AM SURROUNDED BY RIVERS AND LAKES OF PLENTY... (I could take up "guiding for the infirmed" :D )
I THOUGHT YOU YOUNGER GUYS MAY HAVE SOME OPINIONS . I'D BE INTERESTED TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS .

http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/otago/3866 ... ions-mount

Johnno

Re: FOREIGN FISHING GUIDES ......

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Not a new problem, has been around for a while. Sadly The NZ fishery as a whole particularly in the south is a victim of the tourist boom and some fisheries just can't handle the increasing pressure. Hard to know what can be done. A regulated guide licensing system may be a good start. Buts it's only a small part of an increasingly larger problem

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:26 pm

About time i reckon? I know some are going to strongly disagree but there is no arguing the way out of the fact that guides make there living from the resource that F&G provide. A specific licence only makes sense.

A bit of regulation might also prevent the farce that we see on places like the upper Mataura each year. Iv heard of groups as large as 60 anglers arriving on a hosted fishing trip to places like Athol. Sure there is a fair bit of water, but those kind of numbers means there don't leave much water of anyone else but the tourists. Iv pretty much stopped fishing the upper Mataura these days due to the pressure.

Case in point, i did some licence checks on a fairly well known spring creek down there early last season. I checked 12 licences in a 400m - 500m stretch of river and of those the only one that wasnt an Australian was a local guide. It was more like been in a shopping center on a Saturday morning than a days fishing IMO.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Fraser, maybe we need to talk to the owners of the property where that spring creek is as they control (or could control) access as it is on private land. I may follow this up with Southland Fish & Game as this section of water has ridiculous pressure and hardly a kiwi to be seen. Dave

Salmo Brown Trout

Post by Salmo Brown Trout » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:26 pm

As usual Dave "you can't see the forest for the trees".

A bad day's fishing beats a good day working.

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:44 pm

"Hurleeeey House in Lumsden".... just say'n!...

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:52 am

That's interesting, I didn't know foreign guides were allowed, I'm pretty sure they're not in the US.
I've got two days booked with guides next Feb, 1 day in the south and one up in the Nelson region, I particularly chose local guides to those areas with very good reps, I don't get why you would travel all that way a and not use a local! I can't see any benefit of using a foreign guide, for me it's not just the guiding for fishing I also want the day with a local to hear more about New Zealand and living there....
Bizarre :D

Thinking about it the first part of my post is wrong, I do know of arranged tours from the UK to the US and other countries, still not for me, when I go to Montana (or any other state or country) I'll be booking a Montana guide...

pomscott

Post by pomscott » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:27 am

Visiting from Scotland every year, I've always found my own way and had great fishing. My single "confrontation" (in 20 years) has been with an unpleasant American guide who seemed to think I had no right to exist. I have no problem with guides who genuinely help other visitors to enjoy the best of NZ fly fishing and I had thought that my experience was a one off. However, the comments here seem to indicate that it is becoming a wider problem. Please, New Zealand, the dairy impact is more than enough, don't allow something special to be wrecked.

Erik Moller

Post by Erik Moller » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 am

As a foreigner, Scandinavian even (Denmark) I say ban foreign guides. Never heard of any DK guides working in NZ, maybe Norwegian or Swedish ?
I have only ever used a guide on my first trip to NZ about 15 years ago, and I would never even consider using one from abroad.

I don't understand how it is actually possible to operate legally as a guide in NZ as a foreigner.
As far as I know, no foreigner can come to NZ and work as a plumber or anything else without a work permit ?

An etiquette campaign is a good idea, but I'm not sure it would make a lot of difference.
A lot of books on NZ fishing have chapters on etiquette and it is well exposed on the 'net as well.
I very much doubt that foreigners coming to NZ are not aware of it, but there are always some dickheads who don't give a shit. Give 'em a hard time, I say.

Taieri George

Post by Taieri George » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:30 am

A sensible solution may lie in the work permit as already raised. If someone comes here to work without a permit that is illegal. It is no simple matter though, as Australians and other nationals with residence status will be able to work without a work visa. And how can you 'prove' a guide is 'working', when there is no exchange of contract and/or money in NZ? The deal happens outside NZ and two (or a bus load) folk come here to fish together.

There is an issue and it is increasing and it needs to be addressed fairly for the fisheries and the work and income laws of the country.

George