Wading boots

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
fraser hocks

Re: Wading boots

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 am

Yip been banned for over 10 years now.

They were great on slippery rocks but god they were a nightmare on mud or snow. Personally I feel that with the newer sticky rubbers you loose a little on the slimy rocks, but are way ahead on other surfaces so even if I had the choice of felt again, I wouldn't bother.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

canuck

Post by canuck » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:38 pm

I use a Simm Intruder with felt centre and rubber edges for on the boat and when there will be heaps of time on slippery rocks. For more walking and on the bank or NZ; rubber with studs. The rubber with studs works way better than felt on everything except slippery rocks in the water, same as Fraser.

Canuck

RichardL

Post by RichardL » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:40 am

I do appreciate the stuff discussed on wading boots, coming to the end of my third pair in twelve years - all at about $400/pair

I'd like to know if anybody has tried on say the Mataura, the rock fishing shoes used by capable guys taking Kahawai from the coastal rocks just below me here in Browns Bay, Auckland - one brand I've seen is the Mirage Rock Gripper at maybe $NZ80

These shoes seem to be very light for cross country trekking. They cost relative peanuts and they plainly don't feel like lead weights later in the day

And they are plainly designed to make life easier and safer on slippery surfaces. Is there some drawback?

Comments very welcome

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Doesn't look like anyone on here has tried the Rock Grippers in the Mataura Richard - or they weren't that successful (they drowned? 🙃) From the photos I've seen they would have good grip and be lightweight but wouldn't have the ankle support many of us need if walking uneven river banks - will stay with my Simms G3s