Problem with McLean landing net (and company)

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
KimNorway

Problem with McLean landing net (and company)

Post by KimNorway » Sat May 09, 2020 3:18 am

Hi, I just want to share my experience with McLean. I bought the foldable M115 net, which looked great. On the river though, with quite strong current, the net just folded back with the current, making it impossible to net the trout. I tried several times, before I had to beach the fish instead. For such an expensive net, this was a huge disappointment. The trout was about four pounds. What if I had the trout of my dreams on, and lost it because of this? Needless to say, I bought a new net instead, for the rest of my NZ trip (I threw away the first one).

Maybe this is not the case with most nets of this model. And mine could be just a bad product. But anyway, I wrote to McLean to hear what they said about it. Their answer? Complete silence and ignored me. Making a bad product can happen with all companies. But to ignore customers who ask about it, that is just bad service. And I will not recommend the company to people who ask me.

I guess I was not really lucky with my fishing nets, during my three weeks on the South Island. I bought a new (McLean) net, to replace the first one. That net I forgot on a river bank, never to be seen again. Luckily, I had found another net earlier on the same day, that had floated down the river. That net I hid behind a tree, so I could pick it up on the way back. When I came back, then it was gone. Not my day, I guess. Well, then I bought another (expensive McLean) net, the third I had for a short time. This net I had for several days, actually, before I forgot it along the Pukaki canal near Twizel. Coming back shortly after, it was gone too. Well, at least someone else are hopefully having good times, using mye nets in NZ while fishing. And forgetting two nets on the bank, I guess I don't deserve more either :). But I still think I deserve an answer from McLean, by the way.

fraser hocks

Re: Problem with McLean landing net (and company)

Post by fraser hocks » Sat May 09, 2020 10:36 am

Not sure where your living bro, but NZ has been in lockdown for the last 5 weeks, so no businesses operating due to Cronovirus. Hence I'm hardly un-suprised that you havent had a response as only business that are considered essential services have been able to operate.

Have to say i'v owned a couple of McLean nets and they have all been of brilliant. Can't say iv ever seen a landing net of better quality. I'm not worried about price, but more the quality. I know quite a few people with the folding type and they all love them. This includes guides, that used them a hell of a lot more than meer mortals, so if there was an issue I'm sure they would have spoken up by now.

My guess is you will get a response from McLean in good time.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sat May 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi KIM - OTHER THAN THE NET DEBACLE , I HOPE THE REST OF YOUR South Island TRIP WAS GOOD .
IF YOU'LL FORGIVE A LITTLE IRREVERENT KIWI HUMOUR .
WHEN ONE KIWI RELATES SUCH A STORY TO ANOTHER KIWI - THE RESPONSE IS OFTEN ....

THE SECOND GUY WILL RAISE A PUZZLED EYEBROW AND SAY .....
"DOES YOUR MOTHER KNOW YOUR OUT ??" :P
Al.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sat May 09, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi Kim, think those nets are really not made for nz trout as a general rule, cos they are quite small, we stock them as we send a few over to AU as their fish don’t get so big. But interesting what you say about them closing in the current, it’s good feed back for us, to know there limitations. My guess is McLeans would be interested too as it is a new concept, so as Fraser says, your message to them was probably lost during the lockdown. Overall the McLean nets are excellent

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sat May 09, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi Kim - I've only had experience with the triangular folding/extending handle McLean net and can't fault them. I've seen the ads for the M115 and thought they looked very compact - after your post I looked at the videos of them and can imagine their "flexibility" to spring open could be a disadvantage when trying to net fish especially in strong currents.
My only advice is to invest in a leash to attach your net to you !!!!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sat May 09, 2020 10:08 pm

Ah so the net he bought was one of those with the spring steel hoop, not the regular folding nets that I was referring to? Can't say iv any experience with them, but as Steve said, there way too small for NZ fishing. I use an XL size short handle weighnet, as does my wife.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

KimNorway

Post by KimNorway » Sun May 10, 2020 8:39 am

Thank you for good replies, all of you! Yes, the M115 is the spring net, that you can fold with your hands. Should have been more clear on that. I also know that McLean is generally good quality, that is also why my next ones were McLeans too. But as I said, I was disappointed with no replies when I wrote to the company about it. This was on March 6., by the way, almost three weeks before the lockdown. So it should be possible to reply by then. But maybe the situation still interfered, I don't know.

And yes, my trip was good (November/December), except that half of it had totally blown out rivers all over SI. But that is part of the game, of course. I still made lots of good memories. I used to live in SI many years ago, by the way, with several visits after. So coming to Central South Island is like coming "home".

Again, thanks for constructive feedbacks.

marlsounds

Post by marlsounds » Wed May 13, 2020 9:04 pm

Good chat and so awesome to have a shared forum to raise these types of issues. I'm sure McLean Angling will get back in touch after lockdown and will be worried about any faults in their gear (like you, Kim, I'm surprised they've haven't already). They continue to have a great reputation over here - along with Rusler.

Personally, my 2 cents, I've always avoided a foldable net as there's simply too much that can go wrong. And not just with the net - more likely my clumsiness to unfurl it one-handed with a chunky 7lber chomping at the bit for it's last dash to freedom, just as I switch my attention to the 'net unfolding process'. Much safer to put up with the short-handled more robust weigh-net version along with the inevitable catching of net mesh on blackberries and bush lawyer and my reel and everything else it can get its tentacles onto whilst hanging off my back! Probably had 5-6 of these since they first came out. Hard to go past.

I've also tried the magnetic clip system but lost a brand new weigh-net in my first remote backcountry outing, so back to the french clip style I've used for ... ummm ... 37 years (yikes). Anyone else had the same experience?

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu May 14, 2020 10:08 am

I have a clip system that has a clip on the top of the net ring rather than the handle. So the bulk of the netting hangs behind yr back rather than down lower around yr arse. To use the net I merely reach behind, grab the handle and pull. Net unclips and ready to go. Works just fine for me...has done for decades. Never lost a net to the scrub.

Now I also have stretchy lanyard attached to the handle clip. The other end is attached to a D ring I’ve put on the side of my pack-vest - not because of losing nets to gorse, etc but to stop me leaving the damn thing behind as I move off up or down the river.... something I’ve been known to do..

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Thu May 14, 2020 3:17 pm

marlsounds wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:04 pm
I've also tried the magnetic clip system but lost a brand new weigh-net in my first remote backcountry outing, so back to the french clip style I've used for ... ummm ... 37 years (yikes). Anyone else had the same experience?
The French clips suck - and that's a direct quote from my fishing buddy and twice factory manager at McLean Nets. In his last stint there he sourced the current magnetic net release out of China (being married to a Chinese has some benefits) that I have trialed from Day One. I rate it better that the pricier C&F magnetic release. Last time I snagged my short #110 net in a tree on the track to the Reed Pool, the release held and I stopped dead in my tracks.

As Johnno says - any net release should be backed with a 1m bungy cord/ stretchy type cord attached to the top of the net, and the other end to your pack though.

I much prefer my full McLean folding net #120 - never had an issue with using it that wasn't an Id10T error.