Covid19 and.....

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
pomscott

Covid19 and.....

Post by pomscott » Wed May 06, 2020 11:28 am

First, about me,from Scottish Highlands, I have visited NZ each year for more than 20, solo flyfisher both islands. I knew that advancing years meant that each February/March might be the last without knowing that this would be it. I watched some of the anti "overseas angler" stuff and hoped that I didn't fit the sterotype, like to think that many of the friendships formed accepted me as just a fellow fluffchucker. And now here I am, locked down in Scotland, no prospect of spooking a NZ trout ever again. Perhaps, much more sadly, also no chance to enjoy time with family from Auckland to Invercargill. And, no idea when I can even leave my home here. Flyfishers, rise (pun intended) above it, and take the opportunity to reset flyfishing in NZ, surely there's a good way forward for all, not for me, for those that follow.

TIDDLER

Re: Covid19 and.....

Post by TIDDLER » Thu May 07, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi COLIN - I WAS SORRY TO READ THIS POST . WHILST I HAVE NEVER MET YOU I HAVE ENJOYED YOUR PAST CONTRIBUTIONS .I HAVE ENJOYED DEFENDING YOUR RIGHTS ON OUR WATERS AND OTHER FOREIGN FISHERS SUCH AS YOU . I EVEN REMEMBER GIVING YOU A GENTLE CHIDE FOR TEACHING OUR TROUT TO SPEAK THAT SCOTTISH DIALECT YOU GUYS USE :P .
IT MUST BE A SAD REALITY TO REALISE THAT YOUR FUTURE DREAMS AND EXPECTATIONS HAVE BEEN DEMOLISHED BY A NASTY WEE BEASTY THAT YOU HAVE NO CHANCE OF TAMING .
NZ WILL BE A POORER PLACE WITH THE LOSS OF THE LIKES OF YOURSELF AND OTHERS OF YOUR ILK .

STAY SAFE - STAY WELL AND KEEP ON SPOOKING THOSE SCOTTISH TROUT . IT TOOK YOU A LIFE TIME TO LEARN THAT SKILL :oops: . A SKILL MUCH UNDERRATED :P

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri May 08, 2020 9:27 am

Colin keep the fingers crossed, who knows how everything will work out, and yes, I'm sure there are many Kiwi's who have very fond memories of overseas anglers whom they have met up with on a river someplace, in my opinion it certainly adds value to the fishing and life experiences. And after 20 years of visiting I think 'honorary Kiwi status' should apply, crickey that's a huge effort, think of how many hours that is sitting on an airplane for starters!
Good on you Kiwi Colin, stay safe and I hope you can make it back again!

pomscott

Post by pomscott » Sun May 10, 2020 1:02 am

Tiddler and Steve, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. An honorary Kiwi!! Accepted !! Funny that, staying in the same camp in March this year there was a team of Maori guys doing forestry work. I kept and smoked a couple of trout and shared with them, they provided the beer. I was then told, "we shared food, you're one of us". Turned out most had some Scottish ancestry too. A really nice experience to finish this year's trip. Would love the chance to catch up with them again, but........still hope I suppose.