Me or rod

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
RichL

Me or rod

Post by RichL » Tue May 05, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi everyone .New on here. I have 6wt kilwell presentation that I have a problem with sort casts. Using 7wt line . Any suggestion or should I be looking at a medium action rod for fishing close. Thanks for any help. Richard

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Me or rod

Post by Steve » Wed May 06, 2020 7:16 am

Richard a couple of things to try, one is to lube your line, in my guiding days I recall an instance that highlights this, given a clients rod to cast, it was a dog, lubed the line and it was like night and day. Lines do get old and pick up dirt and grime, and lose their slickness over time.

Generally a #6 rod should be matched to a #6 line, though many do move up one line weight - my opinion is a 7 weight line is too heavy for general fly fishing in Canterbury

The next thought is the casting stroke, for short casts you need to stop the rod at about 12 o'clock on the back cast, depends a bit on the rod, very short casts it maybe closer to 11 o'clock.

As for the rod, the presentation model has been around for a long time and has a good reputation, so check the above first

Let us know how you get on

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed May 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Yea as Steve said.

That being said my go to is a 4# or 5# rod and i have a few in shorter lengths. I only pull out a 6# when fishing really big water, or having to cast large flys. Comes down to preference of fishing style. I prefer to stalk in close and fire one neat shot at a fish with accuracy. Others prefer to stand way back and lob. A lighter shorter rod wouldn't be a bad thing to add to your arsenal, but first of id go through Steves points.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

canuck

Post by canuck » Wed May 06, 2020 3:17 pm

Like Fraser I have been using 4 and 5 weight rods for most fishing and occasionally a 6 weight rod for heavier flies(streamers) and wind. Like Fraser I prefer to get in close as well. Unlike Fraser I prefer to fire numerous messy, inaccurate casts and spook the fish :). I can usually find a couple of fish per day that are tolerant of this and still take the fly so I haven't quit fishing or bothered to improve my technique yet.

Canuck

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed May 06, 2020 4:02 pm

What they said. Look at washing your line in detergent, stringing up to dry and treating with Loon Fast Cast or Tiemco line treatment when you wind it back on to the reel. If that hasn't fixed the problem find another angler with a new-ish 7 wt line to try on your rod to compare. From here you can establish it its line or casting stroke, and at least resolve the issue.

New lines really zing out the rod tip, whereas some of the older stuff were shocking. You don't realise it until you try, then its straight off to Steve for a new Rio Gold or Airflo Superflo Presentation!

The Presentation is not a rod I would over-line either, whereas the Innovation will handle it all day.

RichL

Post by RichL » Wed May 06, 2020 8:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. Will give Steve's suggestions a try. Good rod for all other fishing. Tried both 6 and 7wt lines. Wondered about new line as it will be cheaper than new rod. Might have to try some new rods. Any suggestions. Thanks again🤔

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed May 06, 2020 10:13 pm

There are so so many rods out there, it's a bit like saying "I need a new car, any suggestions?" :D

Need a bit of an idea on price point, and the kind of water you are going to fishing etc.. then we can all chip in with our own personal preferences 😁

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!