Only one upside to Covid19 pandemic

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Maniototoflyfisher

Only one upside to Covid19 pandemic

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:34 am

While we all grapple with the implications of the corona virus pandemic, the only upside I see is that local anglers will have the rivers and stillwaters to themselves for the rest of the season. 8-)

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Only one upside to Covid19 pandemic

Post by Steve » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 am

Yes indeed, a little silver lining - we can self isolate on a river someplace!!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:13 am

I have heard a lot of stories from friends and acquaintances, about how empty the back country suddenly seems, as the hordes of anglers from overseas that have been a constant for some time all looking for mouse eaters have gone.

I haven't been really deep back country this season, but we did have an angler from the US go past us on Saturday. He thanked us for leaving a note on the dash of our vehicle, promised he had not disturbed the water when walking downstream and set off to go a couple of km downstream of where we had started.

He also kept his distance...

Time will tell - but get out there.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Yea I'm just trying to get the few remaining jobs iv got on the books, out of the way then I think I'm going to spend my Autumn in solitude in Southland fishing every river I can think of. Not great for the bank balance, but hey its not like iv got a choice. Thank god iv got the van. Only need a fresh water supple and a little diesel and I can survive for quite some time.

On the down side, my planned 50th to Alaska is now in the bin :cry: Maybe for my 51st?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:14 pm

I am self isolating after returning from Australia. Hope I didn't pass on the virus to the fish on the Oreti today.
I had another angler arrive just after I did but I stayed well away from him. Asked if I was going upstream and departed when I said I was. I need more petrol so will have to go to card station before my next outing.
Dave