Rocktreads

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Maniototoflyfisher

Rocktreads

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Just finished drilling and screwing my "Rocktreads" in place. A trip to embed them in, then loctite the screws - and I'll never slip and fall over again!!

Dave

Re: Rocktreads

Post by Dave » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:44 pm

They look interesting but expensive. You will have to let us know how they work out.
Dave

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:21 pm

Only slightly more expensive than tungsten studs - and hopefully they stay there rather than pulling out like my experience with studs. Their grip on slippery rocks will be the test.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:51 am

Hi David. Have you tried them yet? I notice you don't have as many pads as shown on the Rocktreads suggested layout on their web site. Is there a reason for this?
Dave

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi Dave - I bought the " small set" to try them out. So far happy - don't have many stony banks locally but was in Gore on the weekend and tried them on the rocky reefs which I've found quite slippery in the past. Didn't slip at all so was positive. Walking on hard surfaces like the road is noisy/clicky but that's the only downside I've found. Won't be putting any more treads on in the short term. Hope the locktite stays tight but so far so good.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi David
I dug out an old set of Korkers boots that had set of soles with large screw tungsten studs (they screw into metal inserts in the sole so won't fall out). These formed a good base to try so I machined up some aluminium discs (3/4 & 1 inch) and screwed them on in place of the tungsten studs. I put on 13 discs on each boot, 5 x 1 inch and 8 x 3/4 inch. The layout was determined by where the tungsten studs had been. My discs are only about half as thick as the Rocktreads as I didn't have much aluminium bar on hand.
I was reluctant to drill holes in good boots hence the trial with boots that had been retired.
I tried them on the upper Mataura yesterday and they felt good. Next test will be on the Oreti where I actually slipped over last week. First fall on the river for years.

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:03 am

After a long day on the Oreti I am sold on these things. They were a bit noisy when walking on the gravel cycle trail but just great in the water. Best grip in the water I have had in years. I can see why they need to be loctited as I am two pads down.
Dave

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:47 pm

Finally did a decent test on my rocktreads today - still very happy. Can't really understand how the aluminium circles do their work but they certainly stop the slipping. My mate is likely to be in the market for some - slipped and fell over and didn't have time to throw his rod - landed on it and completely broke the blank just above the cork!