McLean landing net

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
reinchamp

McLean landing net

Post by reinchamp » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:14 am

Greetings,
Looking to purchase a McLean net for trout fishing. My question is: do folks on the forum prefer the short handle (28”) or the long handle (35”) nets? Do you find the short handle net makes it difficult to land a large trout without having her too tired, having to be so close to it? Or is the long handle net better but more difficult to control in the water as one “scoops” the fish? Thanks!

TIDDLER

Re: McLean landing net

Post by TIDDLER » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:09 am

Hi REINCHAMP - I HAVE BEEN USING THE McLEAN AUTO EJECT 510 MODEL FOR YEARS . IT HAS LANDED HUNDREDS. I CARRY IT ON MY BACK BY USING ITS BELT HOOK THROUGH A RING ON TOP OF MY VEST (back).
EASY RELEASE AND HAS ONLY RELEASED ITSELF ON TWO OCCASIONS ( its very noticeable when that happens -so losing it just about impossible ). THE ADVANTAGE OF THIS NET IS SHORT OR LONG HANDLE AT THE PRESS OF A BUTTON .I'M AN OLDER CODGER SO IT MAKES LIFE EASIER ON THIS OLD ARTHRITIC BODY .
Al.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:28 am

Hi reinchamp. I use the Mclean folding weigh net. I carry it their scabbard on my belt. This great for netting your own fish as the handle is quite long when extended, but if I am with someone else and netting their fish I find the fixed net easier. However the folding net does have one fault. the screws where it pivots tend to come undone but this can be cured by using a longer screw and putting a lock nut on the screw. They are also expensive but what good gear isn't.
Dave

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:20 pm

I'd recommend the McLean folding weigh net also - you don't have to extend the handle if you don't need to - but if you're on a steep bank the extra length is very helpful. Dave - I haven't had problems with the screws coming loose - but then I probably don't catch the numbers of trout/ use the net as much as you 😎

pomscott

Post by pomscott » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Where can I get a new (fish friendly) mesh for my folding (triangular) McLean net? Must be getting on for 20 years old and dealt with many trout and salmon, can't be a bad bit of kit!

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:25 am

Hi Colin - go to mcleanangling.co.nz - all details are there to order a replacement bag.
Cheers David

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:29 am

pomscott wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:08 pm
Where can I get a new (fish friendly) mesh for my folding (triangular) McLean net? Must be getting on for 20 years old and dealt with many trout and salmon, can't be a bad bit of kit!
Steve at the Fly Shop will be able to supply one, and they are exported to any number of outlets in the UK. Just be aware that your scale will not be as accurate if you change to a rubber bag. The scales are graduated depending on the bag in use - the new rubber mesh is a lot heavier than the original net bags, or their first replacement, the mesh bag.

The new knotless bags are a vast improvement on the original knotted bag and have an almost identical weight.

pomscott

Post by pomscott » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks for that, I'll pick up a new knotless bag when I get there in Feb.