Need advice...

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Wetnets5280

Need advice...

Post by Wetnets5280 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:04 pm

Hello, I am going to be traveling to NZ mid February 2020. Although our trip is not a fishing focused trip I will have a few days to dedicate to fly fishing. We will be on the South Island for most the trip so I am looking for suggestions on which rivers some of you might suggest. I am looking for more secluded, less fished, back country fishing. I would like to find a river I can hike to in an hour or two. I am totally open to other suggestions as well. Does anyone has suggestions? Googling is overwhelming with options since I have limited time. Also would love any suggestions on fly patterns for that time of year!

I am an avid fisherman and experienced angle here in Colorado, USA. We have very technical fishing so I am excited to experience your beautiful country. I am not asking for your secret spots but I am willing to put in the work and I don’t want to just google “best fishing in NZ” and wind up where everyone else does. I am catch and release only and very respectful in how I treat and handle trout.

Johnno

Re: Need advice...

Post by Johnno » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:25 pm

I am looking for more secluded, less fished, back country fishing.

Yeh. About that... Ten yrs ago yup. Present day.... nup... it ain’t going to happen.. any that’s left here is kept secret. For good reason. Sadly you just going to have to compete with the crowds....

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:55 am

Johnno wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:25 pm
I am looking for more secluded, less fished, back country fishing.

Yeh. About that... Ten yrs ago yup. Present day.... nup... it ain’t going to happen.. any that’s left here is kept secret. For good reason. Sadly you just going to have to compete with the crowds....
What Johnno said...

NZ is roughly the same size as your home state, and nothing on any of the islands is secluded any longer thanks to YouTube. Even Fiordland - that last bastion of seclusion is over-run anglers looking for mouse hunting monsters.

Mid week you will find seclusion for periods, but then next thing there is a kayaker, wind or kite surfer, mountain biker, hiker, float-tuber, raft or worse - a guided Lord of the Rings Tour or 4WD convoy likely to go past.

Just fish.

Fish a river mouth on any Southern Lake and chances are the only place you will have seen more fish, is somewhere like one of the famous US tail-waters. Fish a river in the MacKenzie Country and see fish bigger than anything you have seen - and to us they are run of the mill 4 lb'ers. Fish a Southland river or stream and you will wonder what the pathetic hatch is about because the BWO hatches at home are heavier. Fish a North Canterbury river - and when you get over the stench from cow shit think to yourself - the fish are bigger and very cunning.

But it is Godzone and its the (almost) last unspoiled place...

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:06 pm

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CALL BACK COUNTRY . OTAGO AND CENTRAL OTAGO HAVE PLENTY OF WONDERFUL SECLUDED FISHING SPOTS WITH AMPLE Nº OF FISH - ESPECIALLY DURING FEBRUARY (cicadas & large drys). LOTS OF HIGH COUNTRY LAKES WITH A CHOICE OF BROWNS OR RAINBOWS . EVEN ON OUR MOST CROWDED DAYS THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM FOR ALL AND YOU CAN FISH FROM YOUR CAR (4WD) OR HIKE FOR AN HOUR OR TWO TO THE OTHER END OF THE PUDDLE . SOME OF NZ's BEST FISHING ! SEARCH OUT OTAGO'S HIGH COUNTRY TUSSOCK LAKES . EVEN IF YOU AND I ARE AT THE SAME PUDDLE ON THE SAME DAY ITS UNLIKELY WE'LL CROSS EACH OTHERS PATH LET ALONE WATER .THEY TEND TO BE SITUATED I TO 2 HRS TRIP FROM CIVILISATION .
GOOD LUCK ...Al

Wetnets5280

Post by Wetnets5280 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks for all the info guys! I totally get the feeling on secret spots and honey holes suddenly becoming hot spots. The internet has definitely killed any sort of secret spots when it comes to fishing (and camping). I don’t mind running into a few anglers, I fish a lot of tail waters and on the weekends you’re talking about an angler or two at every hole. So my expectations aren’t having a river to myself, just wanted some tips on good area that maybe take a little more effort to get to. From my experience the tougher it is to get to a place the better the fishing usually is. I guess I fish for the connection to nature and don’t like the feeling of being at an amusement park rather than out in the woods fishing. I really appreciate the input!

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:37 pm

In the shop we have the Bible - John Kents South Island Fishing Guide, it's been the go to for many years, he covers most places, so you can find those secluded spots. And the other option to consider is a good guide, they'll know what's the best option on any given day, we have some listed on our guiding site

It's looking like a good season, seems the fish are in great condition, just need the weather to settle down a bit