Medium- fast action

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
284win

Medium- fast action

Post by 284win » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi folks!

Currently running a Airflo nemesis 6WT but getting to the point of where I'd like something with a bit more power.

I fish everything from small creeks to larger rivers like the upper waiau and oreti. The latter of which some of you will know can be rather trying for wind at times.

It will be solely used for trout and often with the wind being less than favourable.

What sort of 5 or 6 wt fly rod would one be looking at?

I'm kinda after a one rod does it all

fraser hocks

Re: Medium- fast action

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:46 am

humm the old Nemesis is a pretty powerful rod, particularly in the 6# bro. Might be down to the line your running on it? A delicate presentation line on a rod like that will kill its punch. Do you know what line your running on it right now? If the line is a good match to the rod, and your still finding its not got enough power then maybe look into some casting tuition?

Reality is that once you wade through all the advertising hype, there is no rod that does it all. For down here in the south you want at least 2 rods. A stiff powerful 6# (which you already have) and a softer presentation 5# rod that you can use on the not so big rivers and for dry fly presentation work on spring creeks etc.. Id also suggest a 4# in the 7'6" - 8'6" for small streams and creeks, but that's only if you enjoy fishing that kind of water.

Then it comes down to budget. Some really good rods out there that aren't too expensive, but some amazing rods are available if you have the dollars to spend ($1000+)

Oh it the phrase "one rod that does it all" brings me back to a saying I heard many years ago.....

"You wouldn't go play a round of golf with only a putter or only a 9iron, so why would you go fish with only one rod?? "

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

284win

Post by 284win » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:26 am

Hi Fraser.

I'm running Rio gold on it currently for fly line.

I was thinking of a smaller 5wt like perhaps a Airflo creek series?

Yep i know exactly what you're saying there it's like hunting.

One rifle won't do it all hahaha

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 am

Humm a Rio Gold on a Nemesis should punch a country mile. if your looking for more power into the wind or for distance then maybe consider getting some casting tuition?

Yea nothing wrong with the Airflo Creek rods. A lot of it comes down to personal preference with both rods and reels. I prefer softer fuller action rods, but that don't mean I'm right and your wrong, its just personal preference. Go see Chris (say hello to him from me) at Fiordland Frontier Supplies and have a cast of a few different rods.

Play with casting at a target that is a realistic distance you cast to fish at. Too many people go have a test cast and all they try and do is cast as much line as possible. A rod that is accurate at the distance your casting to fish is WAY more important to you catching, than trying to cast an entire line.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

284win

Post by 284win » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Yep.

Cheers for that!!

I know Chris personally really well!

There is a sage method 5wt in there at a nice price at the moment!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:43 pm

The 906-4 Scott Radian is sensational in every regard IMO and ideal for what you use it for and those areas, it has loads of power when you need to punch into a wind, but is delicate enough to drop a #16 dry with good accuracy and poise when needed. The 905-4 is also excellent.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:32 am

For the money these are probably the Best Buy out there at present

https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/primal_fly_rods.html

284win

Post by 284win » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:17 pm

flyfish wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:43 pm
The 906-4 Scott Radian is sensational in every regard IMO and ideal for what you use it for and those areas, it has loads of power when you need to punch into a wind, but is delicate enough to drop a #16 dry with good accuracy and poise when needed. The 905-4 is also excellent.
Hi there.

I've been looking at the radians eagerly.

Just unsure if I went down that path it were to go for the nz special or not?

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:35 pm

The NZ Special is a canon, it's a beautiful rod, but for big water and windy days, it's actually a saltwater Meridian blank with fresh componentary (and many don't realise, but it's actually LIGHTER than the Radian!). I have both the older NZ Special (Meridian 906/4) and the new version NZ Special which is a bit more medium in action again, a close, delicate rod they are not and only available in 6wt, but there is no finer rod when the wind gets up or you want to chuck long leaders and heavy nymphs / big dry's / Cicada's to central NI trout or on rivers like the Clutha, just awesome, but as an all-rounder the Radians are hard to beat. Cheers.

284win

Post by 284win » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:40 pm

flyfish wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:35 pm
The NZ Special is a canon, it's a beautiful rod, but for big water and windy days, it's actually a saltwater Meridian blank with fresh componentary (and many don't realise, but it's actually LIGHTER than the Radian!). I have both the older NZ Special (Meridian 906/4) and the new version NZ Special which is a bit more medium in action again, a close, delicate rod they are not and only available in 6wt, but there is no finer rod when the wind gets up or you want to chuck long leaders and heavy nymphs / big dry's / Cicada's to central NI trout or on rivers like the Clutha, just awesome, but as an all-rounder the Radians are hard to beat. Cheers.
Hi there.

You've answered my question fantastically and a whole lot more!

I'd buy you a beer normally but if I can sort ya out let me know!

Sorted it would appear.!