Salmon on the fly

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
John ferran

Salmon on the fly

Post by John ferran » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Anyone tried catching a salmon on the fly I no numbers have been very poor the last few years but was thinking of giving it a try this year and there’s a good chance of picking up trout when fishing salmon flies
Thoughts???

Maniototoflyfisher

Re: Salmon on the fly

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:11 am

Was one of my early aspirations - should have got into it in the late 80's/early 90's when there were a few salmon around! These days I wouldn't have the patience and persistence necessary - even the gun salmon anglers with metal lures can go the whole season without catching one. Have a go though and keep us informed

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:13 am

Yea quite a few have. Iv catch the quinnat salmon in the lakes reasonably regularly but im guessing your thinking sea run jobs.

They are catchable but since numbers are so low its not an easy task. Its a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Last year a group from Australia came to NZ with the intent of catching a salmon on fly. They tried for a couple of weeks without success. I told them that even locals that spend the entire season chasing them are often lucky to just catch one.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Its possible if you target area's they gather pre-spawning. Back in the bad old days when NZ Salmon released millions of fish from Glenariffe it was very do-able up there during February and March.

There are still places where you can get a cast to a fish and watch their actions.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:41 pm

I have figured a guaranteed way however! Do as I'm doing and head to Alaska in July 8-)

canuck

Post by canuck » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Off to "merika" eh Fraser! Fishing in the ocean or rivers?

I'm back to NZ in Feb 2020 and then hopefully back again in January 2021. Good trout fishing and no bears! Maybe some Moose?

Canuck

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi there Steve. Rivers, for my 50th. Iv always wanted to go, so come July me and the wife are off. Im in the throes of booking a lodge as we speak. One of the fly out lodges from Anchorage, then we are going to hire a car and head down the kenai for a week or two.

canuck

Post by canuck » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 am

That sounds like it will be a awesome trip Fraser. I have seen videos and it looks great, enjoy.

Canuck

iank2

Post by iank2 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:38 am

Hi Fraser ,
My wife and i spent a month there several years ago, a great adventure and some amazing fishing. The Kenai peninsular is an amazing place and well worth spending time there, go halibut fishing as well as salmon there if you get a chance. Accommodation can be a little difficult to secure at peak times. If you want any views on what to do , and not do , give me a ring . Iank