Visiting NZ, trying to figure things out

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
willmaki449

Visiting NZ, trying to figure things out

Post by willmaki449 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 am

Hey everybody. I'm going to be visiting new zealand in january, 2020 to do some fly fishing, and I'm stoked. I'm from northern ontario, Canada, and I've only fly fished for smallmouth bass and brook trout. I'm flying into auckland, and currently have no plans from there on. I really am a rookie to the new zealand game, and I'm looking for general advice on recommended regions to hit, ways to get around (I'm only 18 so a rental car is unfortunately out of the picture), general gear to bring (rods, flies, tippets, etc...), and if anybody has any recommended guides to hire.

My greatest concern is getting around, just not sure what the most efficient travelling method would be (hitch hiking, busing, etc...)

All advice is welcome!

fraser hocks

Re: Visiting NZ, trying to figure things out

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:04 am

I think you will find that if you hold a drivers licence you can hire a car in NZ when your 18 and over. Obviously it depends on the hire car firms policy, but mobs like Ace Rentals defiantly do so that shouldn't be an issue. I think you will find that most rivers really require a car to access, and your fishing experience will be limited if you don't have access to a vehicle.

I'm sure you could catch a bus or train between towns and then possibly pay for a taxi to a river access and back, but the cost of that will far exceed the cost of hiring a cheap car. If you hunt around you can pick up a hire car for as little as $35 a day. Will be an over vehicle but that's very good value for money the fishing experience you will get out of having a car over not having a car.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

willmaki449

Post by willmaki449 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:04 am

Thanks for the info man. Ace rentals seems to have some very good prices on their cars. Any other companies you know of that will rent cars to folks under 21?

pomscott

Post by pomscott » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:11 am

It's hard not to enjoy fly fishing for trout in NZ. But, if it's all new to you, then maybe best to start with some accessible locations where you can get into it, meet some like minded folk, all as preparation for some of the more challenging stuff. You could do worse than somewhere around Rotorua, the lake and feeder streams can be a bit busy, but still good fishing. Hope it all goes well for you.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:55 am

Just google "cheap car rental nz" and it brings up a heap. Most will hire a car to 18+.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

willmaki449

Post by willmaki449 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I've heard a lot about the feeder streams of Lake Taupo and was thinking of starting there. Seem very accessible with good fishing. Although I did read somewhere that you need a separate license for Lake Taupo, does that also apply to it's tributaries?