First time, itinerary and private land question

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
brentff

First time, itinerary and private land question

Post by brentff » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:36 am

Hey guys,
coming to the south island from Calgary AB the first week of February. Essentially touring the entire south island, but will try to sneak some fishing in.
Here's the itinerary:

Feb 2-4 Waikuku Beach
Feb 4-7 Brooklyn
Feb 7-8 Hokitika
Feb 8-9 Franz Josef
Feb 9-12 Lake Hawea
Feb 12-14 Glenorchy
Feb 14 - 17 Manapouri
Feb 17- 19 Winton
Feb 19- 21 Twizel
Feb 21 Christchurch

I've got a decent list of rivers to hit at each location, but would love any 'should sees' added, if thats fair?

Other question, i know that access is well signed and provided, however for those small creeks that are in private land, are most land owners pretty receptive to allowing access? Is the typical regime to head up to their house on their road, and ask? What if the river is crossed by a bridge, but then goes through private land (have been looking at the access maps and notice some don't have the queen's chain or a road allowance).

Also, spending 4 days in Rarotonga on the way (just the main island). Is it worth bringing a salt rod for that, noting that we're not going to Aitutaki

TIDDLER

Re: First time, itinerary and private land question

Post by TIDDLER » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:41 am

Essentially touring the entire south island,

YOUR NOT YOU KNOW :P .... YOUR MISSING THE BEST PARTS OF THE MAINLAND - - THE HIGH COUNTRY TUSSOCK LAKES IN CENTRAL OTAGO. THATS A SHAME AS YOU'LL BE HERE AT THE PERFECT TIME OF YEAR FOR FISHING THEM. BRENT - MAYBE YOU'LL HAVE TO BOOK 2 MORE WEEKS ;)
Al.

brentff

Post by brentff » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:34 am

Ha I have a feeling that after 3 weeks I’m going to need 3 months. Might be changing the Waikuku Beach to Kaikoura or Blenheim to get further north and maybe visit the Wairau

PetertheZimbo

Post by PetertheZimbo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:20 am

I think the thing you will find is that there are so many decent rivers that barely get a mention. I would be wary of having your plans too rigid, make a shortlist for each area and follow the weather/your nose. There are plenty of spring creeks around when the rivers are high and cloudy.

Sounds like you have done your research though, good luck and enjoy it.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 am

Ah id just cruise around and any water you see, fish it. Seriously there are so many river streams and creeks in NZ that aren't mentioned in any books that fish amazingly. I can understand wanting to fish the waters you have heard about, but as the others have said, don't set too tight a schedule.

As for Raro, id take an 8#. I had a ball fishing for smaller saltwater species, such as bluefin travelly etc... on the local reefs. There are a couple of small marine sanctuaries so make sure you adhere to that, and not fishing those. I did get hassled by a few less educated tourists that figured that since they had seen a marine sanctuary sign on another part of the island that then surely the entire island must be a sanctuary. The usual idiots that preach on about how they could never harming an animal, while stuffing a steak down their throat. :roll:

If you pop down Avatiu Harbor in the late afternoon, some of the boats come in and fillet up their catch. There are some huge GT's that come in and feed on the scraps. Amazing stuff to watch. No fishing for these buggers though, as they are basically the locals pets. A few years ago a foreign fishing boat pulled up in the harbor. The crew decided that they would catch and eat a few of these GT's. Not only did it really piss the locals off, but the ones that ate the fish got ciguatera poisoning and ended up in hospital for a while :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

brentff

Post by brentff » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks guys, kind of what I figured and doubt I’ll be on the highly written about rivers just due to my time frame and general want to avoid people (If im desperate for a double digit maybe that stop in twizel will include a canal... ha!). One thing not answered was the story with private land. Having spent a fair bit of time on google earth, seems like a fair number of creeks have fences to keep livestock from going downstream.. is that cool to cross without specifically getting permission if I’m sticking to the river, or is the cool thing to do to go up to the farm house ahead of time?

Also, changed out the Waikuku beach for Blenheim to ideally get a bit of time on the east coast.. again, appreciate any PMs for a lowly Canadian, glad to return the favour

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:22 am

Lots of water has designated F&G access points where F&G have negotiated with the land owner for fisherman's access. There are plenty of spots where there hasn't been any negotiation. In some of these locations, some people tend to just go in. This can result in the farmer getting annoyed and you could find yourself on the receiving end of "GET OFF MY LAND!"

That being said in general Kiwi farmers are a pretty amicable lot and fairly tolerant of people wandering onto their land un-announced and treating it like their own :roll: Personally I pretty much always go have a chat with the farmer / land manager before entering. Not only is it a good way of being sure that your not upsetting anyone, in most cases iv found the farmers know all the best spots and will gladly point you in the right direction.

Last season I went to get permission to access a stream that 99% of people just barge in and fish, from the road bridge up. When I asked if me and my wife could drop in at the bridge, the farmer was so glad to have someone actually ask for access he basically granted me and my wife unlimited access to the entire farm and pointed us well upstream to a section that hardly anyone gets to fish. We had probably the best days fishing of our entire season. Just shows you, being polite gets you way further than being a dick hey? :D

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Kiwioz

Post by Kiwioz » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 am

Totally agree Fraser - my experience also - even have become friends of several who have granted access.
Cheers,
Kiwioz