New boots

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
fraser hocks

New boots

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Well looks like it's time for a new pair of boots for me. I'v been a loyal Simms fan for many years, but I have to say iv found the last few pairs of boots the cost has gone up several fold and the quality has gone through the floor.

My last G3 boots are only about 10 months old and are falling apart. I'm hearing similar reports from other's, so it looks like Simms have dropped the ball.

So i'v been looking at both Orvis and Redington boots. Any recommendations from anyone? The newer Riverworks also look good.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Maniototoflyfisher

Re: New boots

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Bugger! I bought a new pair of Simms G3 last season. The previous pair had lasted a decade - I was expecting another decade! Soon after my purchase I started to see reviews about lightweight boots - wished I'd spent more time researching other options. I didn't even consider Riverworks boots - I had a pair 11 years ago that completely desoled on both boots within a year - hence the decision to go "top of the line".
So Fraser, I'm not much help - but I'll be watching the suggestions - especially if my new G3's fall apart as quick as yours!

tomi

Post by tomi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:30 pm

heard great things about the orvis pros, some kind of mash up with michelin apparently? they're in the crosshairs for when my patagonia's give in at some point this year.

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Hey Fraser...
I also had always used SIMMS, but this summer changed over to Orvis ultra-light, been very happy with them so far.... only from mid-season. The weight difference is noticeable and appreciated when hiking back to the car. Grip has been very good, with studs added.
They don’t go as high up on the ankle as the Simms G3, which was a slight concern as I broke my ankle years ago and it’s never felt quite as solid... but I’ve found they’ve provided enough support.
I reckon they’d be a good shout in NZ, where compared to the U.K. you spend even more time walking than wading.
The only th8ng I can’t comment on is how tough they are and what lifespan you can expect.

Have a great season.... always slightly depresses me, ours closes and yours kick in!

HareNcopA

Post by HareNcopA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:21 pm

I am also hearing excellent things about the Orvis boots

Have gone right off Simms after they refused to sort a warranty issue that was clearly a material failure

Kiwioz

Post by Kiwioz » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:48 am

My Simms Guide boots finally gave out and I was after the Patagonia lightweight - but unfortunately the retailer they did not have my size so have the Orvis light weight. I have found them great in terms of weight for travel and walking - a bit wary of the low cut in terms of ankle support but so far so good - I have put in the tungsten pin studs in for grip - will have to see how they last - the Simms were certainly robust...
Cheers
Kiwioz

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:40 am

Sounds like a pair of the Orvis Pro boots might be on my shopping list then? Thankfully I believe one of our local stores is getting stock in of the new Orvis boots as we speak.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:27 pm

Fraser, why not get them through Steve?

He’s got them in the Flyshop.

Support the little guys, not the big ones.......

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 pm

Good point Johnno. Il have a chat with Steve.