New rod for Te Urewera/Hawkes Bay?

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
tomi

New rod for Te Urewera/Hawkes Bay?

Post by tomi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi I've been thinking about buying a second rod for a few months. I'm currently living in Dunedin and fishing otago and southland with quite a lot of time last season on small streams. My rod is a 9ft 6 wt Radian which i love, i'd been thinking that i'd like something shorter and lighter as an extra option particularly on smaller water and casting to willow grubbing trout etc and was leaning towards a 8'6" 4wt.

However I recently accepted a new job between gisborne and hawkes bay. After briefly looking at maps, NZ fishing, and the fish and game website this means most of my fishing is probably going to be shoreline on lake waikaremoana and its tribs plus the ruakituri and hangaroa rivers. Does anybody know the area well and can offer any advice...?

Will a 8'6" 4wt be redundant up there or is there suitable water? If not what second rod would you suggest? I'm fully aware my radian will be fine for everything but I've got a new job and like shiny new toys so seems like an excuse to get one! :D, also willing to try new techniques if euro nypmphing or double handed casting will open up opportunities?

cheers

fraser hocks

Re: New rod for Te Urewera/Hawkes Bay?

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:47 pm

I cant speak for the area your going to be up on the NI, but iv got to say I fished a Scott G2 8'8" 4# so much last season I was blown away. It dont sound that much shorter than the 9' but it makes quite a difference. If your going to fish really overgrown rivers id suggest something even shorter, but the G2 or new G Series in an 8'8" 4# is ONE HELL OF A SWEET STICK!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

tomi

Re: New rod for Te Urewera/Hawkes Bay?

Post by tomi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:28 pm

cheers if i go a shorter 4wt i'll have a look, i was looking at a hardy zephrus 8ft 6 4wt, looks nice and great reviews but not able to actually get my hands on one so would just be getting it based on online reviews.