czech nymphing questions...

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
mitchell300

czech nymphing questions...

Post by mitchell300 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Thinking about giving czech/euro nymphing a crack in some of smallish peat-stained south otago/southland streams for something a bit different. I see that outfits like manic tackle floggers/hunting and fleecing are selling some cheapish outfits specifically the airflo sln rod and packages. I almost want to buy one from my local HnF just to enjoy the blank/baffled looks on the sales peoples faces when I start asking them about the finer points czech nymphing....

I looked on ebay and there were a heap of no-name cheapo rods and blanks. I don't want to spend a lot of coin on something that might well be a passing fantasy/fad bought on by winter but I can't bring myself to buy a total POS either. Also while every man/woman and their dog seems to have jumped into two handed spey casting I haven't encountered people raving about czech nymphing or actually stumbled upon anyone doing it. Is it really going to change my life and triple the amount of fish I'll catch as the www suggests? All I have currently is 6wt gear. I did contemplate trying a rio euro nymph leader on my standard kit but everything I have read suggests this will be a waste of time as it will be difficult to leader-only lob flies with standard gear and detect takes.

Anyhow I would be interested to hear advice on getting started without breaking the bank. Is anyone combining joe-average nymphing with some kind of hybrid euro nymphing using fairly standard 9 foot gear when fishing rivers with sections of occasional boily pocket water other than highsticking?

stickle7

Re: czech nymphing questions...

Post by stickle7 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 pm

This could be a great thread for offering knowledge to the greater fishing membership.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 pm

It will be a great thread if anyone wants to offer tips.

From what I have read the longer the rod the better, with a softer tip - as that allows the lob? If you do want to give it a crack I will gladly post you a spool of Rio indicator leader FOC?

I don't know anyone currently ESN'ing around Chch, although I am told there are a few practitioners amongst the of the Fly Fishing Club members. One friend used to, but by his own admission, the odds are now stacked against him here in Canterbury. It appears to suit stable flows that are deeper and if you look at the vid's on YT, peat stained or not gin clear? Thats not something we have a lot of around here, as the flows have dropped but remain clean, and now we have environmental issues AKA Nitrate so the fish have voted with their fins... Little use prospecting if they are not there and your polaroids confirm that.

Let us know how you get on?

mitchell300

Post by mitchell300 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 pm

this guy seems to buck the trend, stating you can use any old rod to get started in tight line nymphing and he advocates using 20lb mono as a flyline is this shit for real?
https://troutbitten.com/2016/10/14/for- ... d-fly-rod/
https://troutbitten.com/2016/02/03/the- ... ine-sucks/
https://troutbitten.com/2017/02/14/tigh ... g-variant/
At least some of what he says makes sense
https://troutbitten.com/2016/06/08/one- ... ing-trick/

Flogger

Post by Flogger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:37 pm

I've been Czech nymphing for a couple of years now, admittedly on NI streams. While a long rod (10' +) can be beneficial, it's not mandatory. I very often use an 8'6" 3 wt. So, no, you don't have to go out and buy a specialized outfit to get into it. As for a leader, yup, about 10m of 8 or 10 lb hi-vis mono is the go, with a clear fluoro tippet of, say, 6 lb and about 1m in length. You'll generally be fishing two flies in tandem, with the heavier fly on the point, the more natural imitation on the dropper. The flies are lobbed upstream into the head of any likely looking water, then lead back downstream. Takes are generally felt, although the hi-vis mono also serves as an indicator. Thus a rod with a sensitive tip rather than a soft tip is what you want.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:28 pm

mitchell300 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 pm
this guy seems to buck the trend, stating you can use any old rod to get started in tight line nymphing and he advocates using 20lb mono as a flyline is this shit for real?

https://troutbitten.com/2016/02/03/the- ... ine-sucks/
Just be wary that you cannot ditch the fly line entirely to go ESN fishing. The Anglers Notice in the NZ Gazette defines fly fishing as: “fly fishing” means to fish for sports fish with fly rod and fly reel and fly line and artificial fly.

For that very reason you need a portion of fly line in your ESN line set up.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:23 am

There is a Sage One 4-wt sweet deal on TM today...

Flogger

Post by Flogger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:36 pm

"Just be wary that you cannot ditch the fly line entirely to go ESN fishing. The Anglers Notice in the NZ Gazette defines fly fishing as: “fly fishing” means to fish for sports fish with fly rod and fly reel and fly line and artificial fly."

Correct, so my set-up has the leader attached to the end of a conventional fly line. I have a second set-up that utilizes a specialized euro nymph fly line (a thin level line), and to this I attach a leader/tippet section that is twice the rod length. This is the allowed set-up for comp fishing (and I think this leader length of 2x rod length is also a restriction when fishing the DOC-controlled Taupo rivers).

mitchell300

Post by mitchell300 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Well I picked up a Hanak alpen 4wt rod for a great price 2nd hand, ordered a rio nymph leader,just need to cobble something together line-wise on an old reel and I am into it...

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:35 am