RE: Narrowing down location- from London, UK

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
chrisknox100

RE: Narrowing down location- from London, UK

Post by chrisknox100 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi guys- new member here from London, UK but originally hail from and regularly fly fish the Wiltshire chalkstreams such as the Avon ! Been looking over the website for the last year and interested in flyfishing in NZ since my early 20s (late 20s now). My friend has recently moved over to live in Tauranga and planning on visiting NZ for the first time late November/early December this year. As it's my first time and I don't drive, I was planning on biting the bullet of cost and arranging a few guided days. I wasn't planning on this being a full-on flyfishing trip and want to spend time with my friend as well, so just trying to debate where I should dedicate those guided days. I've used that NZ flyfishing interactive map alongside google maps for years and find it pretty overwhelming.

My initial trip plan is something like this: Auckland > Tauranga > Wellington via Auckland (scenic train from Auckland)> potential fish around Wellington> ferry to Picton> guided fishing Nelson/Marlborough or take an internal flight to fish the West Coast)> ferry back to Wellington> train to Auckland> London (over a 2.5 to 3 week period).

Obviously a hugely open ended question, but based on the above if you guys had to select a couple of premium flyfishing days guided somewhere along my route where would you pick? (would be willing to go off track via internal flights too). Also, would it be feesible to DIY flyfish the odd day around Tauranga and Wellington (know there's the Hutt etc etc.).

Apologies in advance for what is i'm sure a bit of an open ended noddy first post !

Cheers

Chris