Gear set up dilemma

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Rusty

Gear set up dilemma

Post by Rusty » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:09 pm

I have been fly fishing for the last 15 to 20 years now on and off, I have self tought myself and had some reasonable results over that time. I got some good advice at the time when i bought my first Rod, Reel, line etc which was a Fenwick 9 ' #6 rod and this has been a good all round rod, fishing large and small and backcountry waters,North and South Island.

I got the wife involved couple years ago and we purchased an Air Flow Stealth 9' #8 Rod package.

I'am now retired and both of us want to put some good effort into fishing over the next few years as we both love camping and the outdoors and challenge of the sport.

I am setting up another Rod (yes here we go :lol: ) mainly for small rivers and the usual obstacles ie trees etc and have opted for a CD ICT 8' #4 to this i have added a Reddington Zero 4.5 reel, now here is my dilema is, LINES ?

The amount of choices Brands and type is mind boggling out there now :? . I consider myself an average caster so i was considering the Rio Brand, backing and Line as i have had some good reports on this Brand and looking to add a Rio Mainstream or Rio Gold Floating WF #5 Line to this kit.

Whats your thoughts guys? nothing to technical please.

It also gives us both a good range of gear to work with having #4 #6 #8 weight rods.

Russ.

fraser hocks

Re: Gear set up dilemma

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:57 pm

Hey there Russ. Iv got an 8' #3 CD ICT and I run an #4 Airflo Elite line on it. Wonderful with this line. Being a weight heaver and the rod been a relatively stiff rod, this gives it a deeper load which works well when fishing in tight quarters. The Elite is a presentation taper, so using one overweight on a stiff rod results in a nice match.

My guess is you will find that the #5 version will go great on that rod.

https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/airfl ... _line.html

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:05 pm

I’ve owned several Rio Golds over the years and it’s a great line, but I would second Fraser and back an Airflo. The only difference is I’d prefer the Bandit as a good all round line and don’t overline: https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/airfo ... andit.html

The longevity on the Airflo lines is simply incredible - I fish the Bandit in a five and six weight and I’d say they’ve lasted me 2x to 3x longer than the Rios.

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:07 pm

In saying that, probably listen to Fraser as he actually owns the rod in question (albeit in a different weight) and I don’t fish super fast rods so don’t like over lining, even in a presentation taper.

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Rusty you need to be careful with line weight as many of the lines today are not what they say they are. Mind you the same applies to the rods. The Rio Gold is about the only Rio line that is actually the weight it says it is but even then it is at the very top of the weight allowable under the AFTMA standard. The other Rio lines are actually 1 weight heavier. I don't know anything about the weight of the Airflos compared to the standards.
If it is possible, see if you can find someone that has the line you're are thinking about buying and try it on the rod. I have one #6 rod that doesn't particularly like the Rio Gold #6, the line just feels too heavy on that rod but I have another rod, same make different model, that is really good with a Rio Gold.
Dave

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks everyone for your input, i appreciate this forum as it has so much info available out there, for advise and help its allways available.

Very interesting points you have made there Dave about the Line Brands and there specified weights, i will take that onboard.

I think for the moment i will take Frasers advise seeing he has the same make of Rod even though its a #3, so i will try an Airflow Elite #5 line on the #4 weight ICT Rod see how that goes, should be a nice light weight package by the time the Reddington Zero reel goes on, can't wait to get it on the water.
Cheers everyone Happy Fishing.
Russ

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:37 am

Yea its a weird old world we live in, in regards to rod weights / line weights.

The AFTMA brought in the current rod weight system we now commonly use as prior to that it was grain envelopes. Ie. a rod will take a line of between ##grains and ###grains. Making it less confusing for anglers to match lines to rods.

Then come the advent of carbon rods and over the last 30 years or so, so many people wanting very stiff rods, the line weights have to be pushed in order to actually load these rods. So now many manufactures are producing lines labeled as a line weight less than they technically are, in order to load these rods.

Reality is that many people are just actually fishing a 6# rod labeled as a 5# and they don't realize that its actually a 6# rod in their hand. Much as the AFTMA system was a great idea, id personally like to see a return to grain envelopes and lines labeled with their true weight. That way if you understand the system, you can make an informed match of rod to line.

Anyway enough techie stuff, time to get out on the water!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Agree with Fraser. Pretty much all modern lines are well over the AFTMA grain ratings, but rods have also changed a great deal since then. So it’s difficult - a few manufacturers do recommend a grain rating for their rod and no doubt others would respond to an email.

Either way, sounds like you’ll get a great set up that will give you plenty of fun.