Single Handed Spey - Lines and Tips

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
HareNcopA

Single Handed Spey - Lines and Tips

Post by HareNcopA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi Team,

Am a bit over heaving heavy nymphs on the Tongariro so thought I might ease myself into some spey casting without having to break the bank on a massive new rod.

I can't seem to get my head around what fly line I should be considering. It looks to me like you purchase the spey line and then a suitable tip? Or is there options with the tip integrated into the line to save loop-to-loop connections etc?

Anyone able to recommend a line?

fraser hocks

Re: Single Handed Spey - Lines and Tips

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:58 am

There are complete kits you can buy, but typically you purchase a running line (which you tie to your reels backing) / Shooting head (the spey bit) / Sink tips (which can be mow or flow tips, but typically just a tapered T material). They all connect via loop to loop connections, so the running line stays with the reel and you swap heads and tips to suit various fishing situations.

What rod are you going to be running this on, as weight, length and to a minor extent the specific rod have impacts on the setup. Long and short of it, its not simple.

If your thinking of just using your standard 9' rod then one of the OPST commando heads will be a good way to get stared. OPST give guidance on heads to suit rod weights. I find them a little short on a 9' rod, but that means that they are easy for a novice to get going with them, as they can be chucked pretty easy.

A better way to go would be to get a beginner switch outfit. All set up and ready to roll. https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/switch_fly_rod.html

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:49 pm

They are confusing, i find them confusing, Fraser as explained it well though - thanks Fraser!

The Airflo range have the Skagit Scout line https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/airfl ... anded.html - they work on a single handed rod, you can match them up to the Flo Tips https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/airfl ... m_tip.html for the different sink rates, or a ployleader too

More info here https://www.manictackleproject.com/tech ... out-heads/

HareNcopA

Post by HareNcopA » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:01 pm

I dont think I am ready to go all in on a complete outfit yet!

I actually have options on rods to put it on -

9ft #6 Sage Z Axis
10ft #6 Airflo Nemisis
9ft #8 TFO BVK

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 am

ID probably recommenced using the 10ft Airflo Nemesis purely based on rod length. In reality double handed fishing is about covering the water, and that's best done with a long rod as well as the longer rod makes mending easier, to control the swing into specific pockets of water.

Oh of course as Steve pointed out the Airflo Scout range. Iv got one myself, so don't know how I forgot about that? :oops:

The 2450gr version will no doubt run pretty well on a 10ft #6 Airflo Nemesis.

Personally id go a set of regular sink tips, since your only running a single hander https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/AFPLSET.html Maybe Steve can do you a set of the 10' 12lb versions? That would be the best setup for a single handed rod such as you want to run. Oh and you want to run 10-12lb tippet, as when a fish hits from below you with all that water pressure you will loose every fish you hook if your using 5-7lb tippet.

I think you will find that the flo tips are more suited to the regular double handed rods in the DH 6# (which is equivalent to around an 8# rod in single handed terms). Even the lightest one cut into 4' & 6' sections will feel like a brick on the end of such a relatively light rod.

Only decision you need to make really is the running line. You can either go the mono type that shoots a long way, but isn't the nicest in the hand or the ridge running line which I prefer as it feels just line regular fly line in the hand, but does mean you wont shoot as far.

https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/AFMB.html
https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/airfl ... lines.html

Oh and you may need to run a 8# style reel, as the backing / running line / head / leader all add up to quite a bulky setup. It wont be fitting on your average 6# reel thats for sure.

Let us know how you go. :)

Some good videos online about how to cast, but always best if you know someone local that can show you. Its absolute nothing like single handed aerializing casting, so do your best to forget all that as it will be a hindrance to you.

HareNcopA

Post by HareNcopA » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks Fraser I really appreciate your help - I though the Nemesis might be the go as it has the extra reach.

I will have a look through the links you provided and send Steve an order.

Looking forward to flailing about on the river for a bit!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm

HEHEH yea took me a long time. I'm not a fast learner! :oops:

You really have to try and forget the muscle memory learnt from single handed casting as its a very different stroke. Hard to explain but take a bit, well did for me. Really its just an improved roll cast, but more dynamic. Iv taught a few of the newbies to our fishing club and it always amazes me how quick they pick it up. If you can find someone to give you a short lesson it will help immensely. No CCI qualified DH casters in NZ at the moment, but im sure someone local can help you get going.

If your ever down this way, look me up and il do what I can to improve your DH casting hey? ;)

HareNcopA

Post by HareNcopA » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:25 pm

I think there are a few blokes in my club (Hamilton Anglers Club) that have done a bit so will bend one of thier arms

We even have a perfect little beach on the Waikato River to practise on

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Hope it was you that won that auction bro? If so I think you found a perfect rig ready to go!