2 x Piece Rod

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Rusty

2 x Piece Rod

Post by Rusty » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi guys, need some info.
Was digging around in the shed the other day and i came across an old (approx 50 years) 2 piece fly rod, its a glass rod made in UK, make is "Edgar Sealy" Black Arrow No 2 action, 9' long. Feels like its a fairly soft action. Can anybody tell me a little about this rod and what does it relate to our modern day rods, what weight line would be suitable for this? Its in very good nick and thinking of using it as a spare.

fraser hocks

Re: 2 x Piece Rod

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:23 am

Cant say I know that rod, but as with most rods, its best to try out a line on it. Id be going for a DT line as WF was non existent back then and will do you no favors with the slow heavy actions of old rods. Very few rods made back then were lighter (IE 3-5#) so id be looking at a 6-8# line to try out and get a feel for. Your hand will tell you what line suits it best!

50 years ago, there were massive amounts of rods built with many different brands on them. Almost every tackle shop and department store had its own brand. A quick google shows that there are quite a few about for sale on various websites. A bit more research might help point you in the right direction.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Rusty

Re: 2 x Piece Rod

Post by Rusty » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks for you help and advice Fraser, that will give me something to work on anyway.