questions for the southern boys

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Sick of Sinkers 13

questions for the southern boys

Post by Sick of Sinkers 13 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 pm

hi guys, long time no see.....
just wondering a few things, i have the chance to buy a big bit of dirt cheap in glenavy and put a little house on.
what the fishing in the area like ?? i cant say i have spent much time dwn south with a rod :oops:
this has a big part in whether i go ahead with the purchase :lol: :lol:

im limited in the km i can walk a day with half a left foot, so if its a case of walk 20 odd kilometers that's not really an option for me, id be maxing out around 5km..

not after secret spots just a general over view,any thoughts appreciated

tightlines boys

Steve
Site Admin

Re: questions for the southern boys

Post by Steve » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Glenvay was popular in times gone by for the salmon fishing in the Waitaki, that fishery has collapsed though, the trout fishing I understand can be good still in the river, a jet boat would be a asset for that as it's a big river. Inland there are a couple of tributaries, then you get to the Waitaki lakes and the mackenzie area which has many good options, bit of travelling to get to those

Sick of Sinkers 13

Post by Sick of Sinkers 13 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:00 pm

thanks steve, well i cant say you have put me off, gota love a guy that tells me i need to buy a toy =)

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Wot Steve said.

The trout fishing is really variable - but then are the rest of the East Coast main stems. The bonus is that it has rainbows and browns, and both can be caught right down to the mouth. Downstream its such a big river that it needs to be low to access across the side streams, but if you do your homework you can find access.

Upstream there are places to get to the side streams from both sides, and also the bonus of Bells Ponds. If you cannot catch a fish there spinning, then there is really no hope for you!

Up near Kurow the caddis hatches are phenomenal and 20 fish nights are not unheard of. The Waitaki Lakes are an hour up the road (Benmore is the most prolific fishery in NZ) and the Haka and Marawhenua are close. There is also a good white bait fishery with most either rowing across the lagoon to the mouth or riding a quad so it has something for everyone. I love the place - need to go more.

canuck

Post by canuck » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Lots available in the Mackenzie with short walks less than 5 km. Takes me about a hour and 1/2 to get to Oamaru from Omarama, not close but doable.

Canuck