Nymphing Southland.

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Dave

Re: Nymphing Southland.

Post by Dave » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Sagecaster I always try to have greater than a fish length between flies when I am using two flies. I have had a fish that came in foul hooked in the tail and I had noticed a sudden change in how it felt part way through playing it. I suspect the trailing fly got caught in the tail and pulled the other hook out of its mouth (I normally tie the second tippet to the bend of the first hook). Last season a fishing mate had a hell of a struggle to land a 6lb rainbow. He was using a dry with a nymph below. I saw the dry disappear so I know the fish took the nymph (and the nymph was still in its mouth) but the dry was in the tail.
Dave

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:42 am

Thanks for your input Dave. They don't need to be too far apart in the small high country streams I usually fish here. I'll certainly increase the spread when i'm over your way.

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Anything will work if you fish them well. By colour, try different coloured beads, maybe a subtle hotspot thread collar or a couple of fibres of coloured tailing materian beneath / on top of your regular tail. Just something to catch their eye without putting them off

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Ok, thanks for your help Chris.