Nymphing Southland.

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Sagecaster

Nymphing Southland.

Post by Sagecaster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi all. A mate & myself are crossing the ditch in late November for 10 days around the Gore area. We both prefer fishing Nymphs rather than Dries, & would like to know the best Nymph patterns & sizes to use that time of year. In Victoria, in early Spring, I usually have success with a #14 tungsten bead Caddis Pupa, below a #16 Zebra Midge, or a #16 Prince. How would that combo fare on say the Matuara, or a smaller stream like the Otamita? Actually, we're both keen to give Czech Nymphing a go. Any advice appreciated.......Scotty.

Dave

Re: Nymphing Southland.

Post by Dave » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi Scotty
I would use a #14 hare & copper with a 3mm black tungsten bead and some lead wire. This is also good for taking down a #16 pheasant tail or hares ear. I would also try a #16 hare & copper with 2.5mm tungsten bead (no lead). Your nymphs would also probably work.
Can't help you with Czech nymphing.
Dave

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks Dave. I have those flies covered.

scotish wildfisher

Post by scotish wildfisher » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:56 am

Hi I have also had success with size 18 hare and copper tied without any weight on size 16 short shank hook.I fish this with a weighted nymph above.You might have to search out particular beats for czech nymphing (deep fast with cover so you can get close to the fish)

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks James. I have a good supply of Hare & Copper, Hares Ears, Pheasant Tails & many other patterns, including my favourite Nymph, the Zebra Midge, in various sizes & weights from #14 to #22.
Only 10 days till the Trout season starts here in Victoria, & i'm chomping at the proverbial bit :-).

scotish wildfisher

Post by scotish wildfisher » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:21 am

Hi good luck. Are you going to try the oreti as well.The same flies work but more sight fishing to
fewer larger fish.James

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:12 am

Hi James. The Oreti will be a definite, as we'll be fishing Mavora Lakes as well. We will be staying at Waikaka, (near Gore), so there will be no shortage of Trouty water to explore within 100kms of base.

scotish wildfisher

Post by scotish wildfisher » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:28 am

Hi well good luck and let us know how you get on.I will there at the beginning of december.

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:29 am

Tie small to imitate the size of the naturals. 16’s and 18’s small and dark to represent mayfly, and dont overlook green caddis and chironomids on the lower mataura and other silt based streams. Tie some with a touch of colour or ‘bling’ to grab attention, but most importantly tie them in a variety of weights. The aquifiers and river levels are already low around the south. By November they could just be even more so.

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:11 am

Thank you for that info Chris. Much appreciated.
Apart from some size 14 tungsten bead Perdigons, (to get down in fast water), nearly all my Nymphs are from size 16 to 18, with one row of 20s in the fly box. My favourites over here being Zebra Midge & WD40s in black, red, olive & tan. In slow moving streams I favour the brown Caddis Pupa (on point), with a size 16 or 18 Hares Ear about 8-12" inches above point. What are your thoughts on those combos?
When you suggest a bit of colour, what colour do you recommend?