Bowyers Stream again

Issues affecting our sport...
Steve
Site Admin

Bowyers Stream again

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:53 am

In spring 2013 Future Rivers bought to the attention of CSI F&G these types of works, a meeting was arranged between the Ecan river engineer, ourselves and CSI F&G. At that meeting the CSI F&G officer told the Ecan river engineer and ourselves that he 'could see few issues' with this type of work - at the time we were standing right in front of one of a number of pools the river control people had taken out in Bowyers Stream!

I followed up with the CSI Chief Executive Jay Graybil and later the CSI Council, providing detailed information and photo's of the extent of these works. We had proposed developing a set of guidelines to minimise the impact for this type of work, not only to Bowyers Stream, but all fisheries, but CSI F&G undermined that completely - So this recent work could have been avoided had CSI F&G been more astute...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/ ... g-a-stream

Andy W

Re: Bowyers Stream again

Post by Andy W » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Yep and what with the recent damage by rain - she's knackered now.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:58 pm

What a mess? At least they are going to perform restoration works! Do you think this will be followed through with, and if so could the measures restore the stream to a decent state Steve?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Fraser it is a complete mess. I didn't see the recent works, but they have done it time and again over many years. It really just needs a set of guidelines for how to approach it, we found some guidelines from the waikato region which could have been used as a base, simple things like reinstating a pool once the work is done, making the work resilient enough to withstand flood flows - it really is a joke, they come in, fix up a corner, destroy the habitat, next flood comes along and washes it away again, so back they come and do it all again.... achieves very little, great employment scheme though.

Who knows about the restoration works, we have two notably dysfunctional organisations here - not much hope I would suggest, but nature does a good job if only they would leave it alone for long enough.

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Friend went to the above "no name" Stream today - had been there in October and today found a big Hough loader or bulldozer had channeled kilometres of the riverbed - shunted lots willows and buggered many of the nice holes. Only saw 2 trout where last time saw 12. Icing on the cake was when a massive 4 x 4 that he heard coming from a km away drove up the stream, stopped and the heavily tattooed driver asked how the fishing was going !!
I thought after ECan was taken to Court by F & G for the damage to 11 Km's of the stream in 2017 and then they "settled out of Court" they had agreed to work together to minimise the damage when flood control work was required. Sounds to me nothing's changed !!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 pm

PERHAPS THE 4 x 4 DRIVER WAS TROLLING :roll:

John ferran

Post by John ferran » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Was up on bowyers stream this morning bull dozer tracks everywhere and seen two fish in a 2km walk this time last year I was seeing fish in every hole what has went on up there? It sure has ruined a good section of the stream maybe it will come back in time there is some lovely pools but no fish 🤬

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:46 am

I did go and have a look too, I'll pop some pictures up a bit later on. The part I looked at wasn't to bad, (or at least I've seen much worst) as it was limited to several area's, that was from the ford up, where were you guys?

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Steve - mate went downstream of Moodies Rd ford - lots of holes filled in and lots of straightening/ channelling. Above ford looked like less channelling.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:30 pm

I'll go for another look, chap in the shop today said the same about lower down