Streamers

Discus tips on techniques, styles and tactics here
hilmanang

Streamers

Post by hilmanang » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:08 am

Hi, I am new to flyfishing.
I am very confused.

Waiteti river mouth Streamers with wooly Bugger around this time.

May I know
- when to use Black Wooly and when to use Brown Wooly.
- if I am using sinking Tip line, should I use a beaded wooly or I should not.

Please help
hilmanang

fraser hocks

Re: Streamers

Post by fraser hocks » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:01 pm

When it comes to fishing wooly buggers and bigger streamers your typically not trying to imitate specific invertebrates or fish. Its more a generic fly. Often the fish will attack purely out of apex predator instinct. Something large and moving enters their territory they attack by trying to bite it.

So really the color isn't all that relevant. Its more down to the mood of the fish when you swing a big streamer past its face.

As to when to use a bead head or not comes down to the depth of the pool. Like I said before they often attack the fly out of aggression so if your not getting the fly deep enough into their face then you might need something with more weight like a bead head, or swap up to a faster sink rate, sink tip to get down deep in the pool and get them to bite.

Hope that helps Hilmanang, and we see some photos of big fish from you!!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 am

hilmanang wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:08 am
Hi, I am new to flyfishing.
I am very confused.

Waiteti river mouth Streamers with wooly Bugger around this time.

May I know
- when to use Black Wooly and when to use Brown Wooly.
- if I am using sinking Tip line, should I use a beaded wooly or I should not.

Please help
hilmanang
An older fly fishing friend once told me (as I was busy tying up some woolly buggers to hit Benmore next morning), "A woolly bugger without a bead isn't a woolly bugger, its just a woolly thing"

Browns tend to go for drab colours, and rainbows brighter colours - but that doesn't always hold true either.

upstream

Post by upstream » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 am

I would tend to use a black woolly bugger at night or when the water is discoloured and and olive or brown during the day.
And I prefer a light bead on the bugger even with a sinking line, just gets the fly down a bit faster. But not essential.

There used to be a deep hole at the Waiteti mouth, not sure if this is still the case. If so you may wan to try a faster sinking line.

hilmanang

Post by hilmanang » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I will take note.

This is my 2nd year fly fishing. 1st time at the river mouth. Prior to that I had been Nymphing and only caught under size. My casting is quite alright. I am using Rio Intouch Full Sink and non brand cheap Sink tip for River mouth Waiteti on a 8 weight rod.

This happened in my last outing last month.
- 1st day I used a full sink line with about 9 ft leader and a brown wooly at night. I lost 3 wooly in about 4 hours snagging whatever is under catching nothing.
- 2nd day I used a Intermediate sinktip line using same setup and wooly. Nothing happen. I change to luminious bait fish, black wooly to no use. While 2 guys next to me having a great day.
- 3rd day I changed to early morning fishing, using 2nd day setup of brown wooly and white flies and no use. A guy walk next to me and he caught one in less than 5 mins.
- 4th day, I went back to the wood nymphing to great success.

I was so so upset and discouraged. The locals noticed and gave me his Brown wooly whom he caught 3. He told me to stick to Sinktip and should be fine. I continued fishing till 12 noon and walk away nothing.
But the locals had been great. Each day they gave me 2 fish to bring home. I fully and deeply touch by New Zealand hospitality, truly Touch. I am from Singapore.

Thank you

hilmanang

Post by hilmanang » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi

The 1st night while using Full Sink, actually I felt a "Thump" each time I lost a Wooly. I assumed it must be my pull with the hook stuck at something. Or Is it because of my clinch Knot used tying the hook failure.
I kind of suspect it is because of the clinch knot because the following week, while I went sea snapper fishing, the clinch knot I used snapped off. I quickly go back to my usual sea fishing hook tying method and with great success. Now I am quite weary using that clinch knot.

Thanks

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Sorry to hear your not having great success. Its often the little details in the way your fishing that can make the difference between catching and not catching here in NZ. I suggest you join your local fishing club. The best way to learn all the details of how best to fish locations from guys that have been doing it for a long long time in your local area.

Also id suggest you pop along to Hunting and Fishing in Rotorua. Mike Davis the owner is a bit of a legend and a hell of a nice guy. Im sure he will give you some good info and can put you in contact with your local fishing club.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:17 am

River mouth fishing can be frustrating at the best of times, but your in a great location, so stick with it. I would kill to have that sort of opportunity on my front door step.

hilmanang

Post by hilmanang » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Thank you for the info. Appreciated

hilmanang

Post by hilmanang » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi

Regarding the Leader length. I am using about 9 ft length Fluoro carbon 8lbs Line. But some at the river suggested a short 3ft Fluoro would be suffice. May I know what is the idea on the Leader length. Thanks? I did not use Tapered Leader. Just a straight 8lbs.
Last edited by hilmanang on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.