New to NZ flyfishing and could use some help.....

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
chrisp

New to NZ flyfishing and could use some help.....

Post by chrisp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi all.

Moved here from the US about four months ago. Have been ff for about 15 years so am not a newb by any stretch but sort of feel like it since arriving here. Have been out on a couple of rivers since the season opened and managed a few smaller fish but can't seem to get hooked up on the few big fish I've sighted.

On Sunday sighted two decent fish in a tailout of a pool. Both were actively feeding. Threw some dries and nymphs at them to no avail. They didn't spook but shied away ever so slightly, particularly when a dry would go overhead. Even sized down and got the same result.

Makes me wonder if my leader/tippet combo is a bit too heavy. What do you all do for leaders both in terms of weight and length? What about indicators? Yes or No?

Anyone in Rangiora or Christchurch want to meet up and fish?

Maniototoflyfisher

Re: New to NZ flyfishing and could use some help.....

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:46 pm

I use a 12 foot/6lb tapered leader with 3 or 4 feet of 5lb fluorocarbon tied on the end. Usually start with #16 parachute adams tied to that ( for sighter) with another 2 feet of 4lb fluoro tied off the bend of Adams to a #16 hares ear/pheasant tail nymph. As they say "big fish don't get big by being stupid" so be careful with line shadow, dragging flies etc. Once a trout has become suspicious it often stays on point but won't take a fly - but if it keeps feeding then it either hasn't seen your fly/can't be bothered moving a long way to it or doesn't like it !!!! Hope this helps.
Sorry can't help with "meet and fish" unless you want a 5 hour drive south.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Good advise from David, it's all about increaeing the stealth and presentation, your first cast is alway going to be the best chance, take them by surprise and let the first thing they see be your fly and the odds are in your favour... and it's why it's called fishing and not catching!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 pm

It’s possible those fish are willow grubbing

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:09 am

Johnno wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 pm
It’s possible those fish are willow grubbing
What Johnno said especially if you are fishing close to home. Even then a fish that looks like it is willow grubbing can be taking other critters - and what the last one took might not work on the next one.

Last Sunday I was out with a mate. The first fish we didn't see - I knew from past experience there should be a fish in the eye so drifted a mayfly nymph through the hole watching the indicator. Boom - game on. The second was out in the open not 20 m upstream actively feeding sub surface, and it took my mates willow grub. No where near a tree mind you. The third though... After 7 fly changes he nailed it on an unweighted caddis. We thought it was willow grubbing but the fish wouldn't touch an imitation.

The next few took a willow grub ok, and then we struck a couple of fish we have caught before (known as Pec and Shag). Pec took a caddis, but Shag - he took 5 changes and eventually took the same fly as my first one of the day.

Point being - if they don't shy away and are happily feeding just keep changing and putting your fly in the right zone.

peelproductions

Post by peelproductions » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Sent you a Pm

scotish wildfisher

Post by scotish wildfisher » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:36 am

Hi dont beat yourself up.The tail end of pools can be the hardest place to ambush a trout especially if there is low flow and no ripple.Im sure all of us have spooked fish here many times. Although its always good to rise to a challenge, I have sometimes moved on from those tricky fish knowing I will find better opportunities further upstream James