Losing too many fish

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Wild Pete

Re: Losing too many fish

Post by Wild Pete » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:25 am

Maniototoflyfisher, yes probably not hooked correctly, like I mentioned to Fraser, I am getting quite a few hooked in the centre of the mouth on softer tissue rather than the lip. After reading a bit more on the subject and considering Fraser advise I am still not sure what the plan of action is. One of the fish on Sunday was down to the backing so I thought I was 'In'. I am still pretty happy with the experience of being 'schooled' by the fish.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Wild Pete wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 am
Johnno I am using a 9' Reddington Path #6, WF Floating and about 13' leader.
Is that a fast rod or med fast?

Wild Pete

Post by Wild Pete » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am

Johnno wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:16 pm
Wild Pete wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 am
Johnno I am using a 9' Reddington Path #6, WF Floating and about 13' leader.
Is that a fast rod or med fast?
Med -fast

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 am

Ok. Reason I asked is that I know some pple find they drop fish (when downstreaming in particular) when using fast rods. One theory is that they may be playing them too hard, and the rod doesn't have the same 'give' in it as a slower rod. Thus when a fish goes for a run, moves one way or another or whatever, the rod doesn't take the strain as much and the fly will pop.

It's only a theory. I do know however that I have had an awful lot of time on small streams over the last 40 years and slow or med action rods are far far better for the task of keeping sometimes fairly large fish outta bad places by merely clamping down and holding on. The rod takes a lot of the strain and reduces the chance of breakage or pops. Those early noodle like graphite rods and glass are perfect for such places

I think that can transfer to larger water where faster rods .. and granted yours is not.. don't have the same give. I don't know how hard you play your fish, but maybe try less stick? Just a thought.. maybe worth a try??

Wild Pete

Post by Wild Pete » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 am

Johnno wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 am
Ok. Reason I asked is that I know some pple find they drop fish (when downstreaming in particular) when using fast rods. One theory is that they may be playing them too hard, and the rod doesn't have the same 'give' in it as a slower rod. Thus when a fish goes for a run, moves one way or another or whatever, the rod doesn't take the strain as much and the fly will pop.

It's only a theory. I do know however that I have had an awful lot of time on small streams over the last 40 years and slow or med action rods are far far better for the task of keeping sometimes fairly large fish outta bad places by merely clamping down and holding on. The rod takes a lot of the strain and reduces the chance of breakage or pops. Those early noodle like graphite rods and glass are perfect for such places

I think that can transfer to larger water where faster rods .. and granted yours is not.. don't have the same give. I don't know how hard you play your fish, but maybe try less stick? Just a thought.. maybe worth a try??
Thanks Mate, I appreciate what you are saying and I agree there is probably some truth in it. I had considered buying a new rod, however a fishing mate pointed out I am only losing the fish that are down stream to me and I am probably panicking because they are down stream.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Another thought is how you play the fish, rod high, not pointing down at the fish, as soon as the rod drops it's ability to absorb is compromised, and I try to use side strain when a fish is below, no idea if it makes a difference, I just figure if I'm pulling straight the fly is more likely to pop straight back out, think pulling more from the side also keeps them a little more off balance