Losing too many fish

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Wild Pete

Losing too many fish

Post by Wild Pete » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi Guys, I am losing a lot of large fish, (2 yesterday) they are not breaking off but rather ripping the hook out. I suspect I have not set the hook hard enough but I am unsure how hard I should be trying to set it. On both occasions yesterday I was fishing down and across with a double nymph set-up. I was down to the backing with one of these Mataura Browns, very exciting. I also managed to land 3 others yesterday all around the 2lb mark. Any suggestions welcome.

Maniototoflyfisher

Re: Losing too many fish

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:52 am

Sounds normal to me - always get a few "let go" during the fight. Presumably only hooked to a tag of skin rather than something more substantial.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:59 am

Same - seem to get a ratio of one lost to 3 or 4 caught as I don't set early enough. Often its when fishing no indicator and there is too much slack in the system.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 am

Welcome to the world of fishing bro. :lol:

Your never going to land every fish you hook, that's just life. My wife is very antithetical and when she started fishing she dropped a few. Always asked me "what did I do wrong?" A few times there were things she did like too much pressure and snapped them off / pulled the hook, or not enough pressure to keep the hook in, but other times she did nothing wrong. Its just a fact of life im afraid.

Swinging downstream, also means your setting the hook upstream, which is never a good recipe for solid hookups. Rather than setting the hook into the corner of there mouth, your trying to pull it out upstream if you get what I mean?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:06 pm

I THREADLINED FOR OVER 50yrs. IT WAS ALL TREBLE HOOK IN THOSE DAYS AND THUS YOU SELDOM LOST A FISH . WHEN I TOOK UP FLY AND STARTED LOSING FISH IT CAME AS A BIT OF A SURPRISE . I OBVIOUSLY HAD TO START IMPROVING MY RIGS (knots etc) AND LOST A LOT LESS - BUT THERE IS ALWAYS THE ONE THAT OUTSMARTS ME . I NOW TAKE A PHILOSOPHICAL VIEW AND SAY WELL DONE TO THE FISH - AFTERALL HE'S FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE , AS WOULD WE .
FISHING STILL WATERS ,AS I DO ,I AM OFTEN CLOSE TO OTHER ANGLERS . SOMETHING THAT REALLY ANNOYS ME (even offends) ARE ANGLERS WHO , HAVING LOST A FISH , START CURSING AND SWEARING AT THE ACTUAL FISH THAT OUTSMARTED THEM (it especially irks me when I know they are fishing catch and release ) IMO SUCH ANGLERS SHOULD NOT BE INVOLVED IN FISHING.

DON'T WORRY WILD PETE - AS ABOVE COMMENT SHOWS - YOUR NOT ALONE .THINK OF IT AS A CHALLENGE FOR ANOTHER DAY - COMPULSERY C & R . :P

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:04 pm

What rod are you using WildPete?

Brown Trout Stalker

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Yep you loose alot of fish fly fishing.

I hooled 3 fish on the weekend and landed one, it went 9 lbs, it was the smallest of the three. :o

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:24 am

Yip, totally agree Tiddler. I spent the weekend helping out with Casting For Recovery over in Wanaka. I guided a lovely lady from Alexandra. She hooked three fish in only the fist two hours of her ever fly fishing. She dropped all of them due to line control, but as I said to her and iv said to many others before

"90% of what we are trying to do is fool a fish into eating our fly, believing it to be natural prey. If we get the take, then surely we have succeeded? Landing that fish is nice to do, but relatively its pretty low on the scale of what we set out to do"

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Wild Pete

Post by Wild Pete » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:20 am

Hi Fraser, I agree with your first comments about the fishing down and across as the hooks generally are in the inside the mouth rather than the side of the lip. I generally do not have too many issues when casting and fishing up-stream however in windy conditions or when walking back to my truck I cast at obvious places where I would expect to catch fish. However the last two bigger fish I had lost were when fishing down and across.
As for being frustrated about the situation 'sorry, not here' I was just looking for some advise why I was suddenly losing bigger fish. Of course with the wind we have been having lately I may have been fishing down and across a bit more than usual. Cheers.

Wild Pete

Post by Wild Pete » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 am

Johnno I am using a 9' Reddington Path #6, WF Floating and about 13' leader.