SI Report from Apr 2017

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
sldrose

SI Report from Apr 2017

Post by sldrose » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:04 am

Apologies for the repost, I couldn't figure out how to delete and wanted to extend a thanks to everyone who helped out with advice.
I didn't want to be the guy coming around asking for info and not closing the loop!

It's been 6 months since I got back to Canada after 10 days on the South Island (Apr 6 to 16)
I have to admit we got our butts kicked by NZ.

There was a storm system that brought heavy rain 6 out of the 10 days we were there.
We kept trying to move south to get clear of it, but I think we ended up stuck in the heaviest part.
All the rivers were blown.
All our plans to overnight and explore were shut down.

Without local knowledge, we ended up fishing lake Brunner and Lake Poerua a fair bit.
We still got fish to 4.5lb, but it wasn't really the NZ sight fishing experience we were hoping for.

The guides I wanted to book weren't available, and I'm kind of glad given the weather we got.

We got three good weather days out of the 10, 1 day spent driving.

One good weather day on the Wangapeka.
Fish were cruising the pools chasing each other instead of sitting on station, we saw some big fish.
my buddy lucked one of these cruisers with a royal wulff after several casts (the fish took downstream).
I had given up on this pool assuming the fish had seen us already (and thinking it was a long shot with a wulff),
but then I heard the fish on call over the walkie.
I ran back downstream to help net but he lost the fish just before netting.

We only saw 3 other fish sitting on station in the 6-8km we walked.
I managed to get a take on a paradun, but it ran downstream hard and threw the hook.
the other two fish we spooked after several good casts with flies they weren't interested in.

Next good day was wasted exploring the Anatoki.
A good run and a few good pools at the Rainbow Valley Community fooled us into fishing this river.
That was the end of the good water, the water upstream of the community was one big rapid without
any decent pools or holding water for at least the next 1-2km.
There was lots of pocket water we expected to at least see some juveniles, but it seemed devoid of life.
There may be better fishing upstream of if you were to chopper in, but it was a lot of walking for no results.
John Kent was right, NZ fishing was wrong on this one.

The next good weather day was on the Aorere by the Heaphy track start. We walked lots of fantastic water.
Hard walking over big basketball size rocks, but this is one beautiful river.
After several km we only found one pool with cruisers that were not interested in anything we had.
We managed one small fish blind.
Another tough long day of walking

After that we got hit with the rain system and kept heading south till we ended up at lake Brunner and Lake Poerua.
We got soaked, but at least we got fish here blind casting. No other option with the rivers blown.
Some exciting fishing where the river runs into brunner, but it was very swampy.

We got some bigger fish at Poerua (average nz size) but we at least got some sight fishing amongst the deadfall at the southern end of the lake.
It's pretty swampy here, and moving lifts a lot of silt, but the fish here don't seem to mind.
My buddy hooked one which wrapped him around a log.
He was determined to get his fly back despite my insistence that he just break it off, so he wades out, calf deep in silt balancing on deadfall.
I wade in behind him to hold his rod and bag so he can reach the end of his tippet.
We were kicking up a lot of silt, when I look to my left and see a trout cruise behind me, through the cloud of muck we had just made.

I basically shove my buddys gear back at him with enough time to remove the fly from my guide and let it pendulum swing into the water beside the trout. It wasn't even a cast, but the fish turns, swims over and nails the woolly bugger.
Then it was on, the fish immediately runs under a log, I manage to turn its head and bring it back under into the semi open area we are standing in and control it enough to get it to the net.
Only 4.5lb, but given the weather we had, not too bad,

Anyway after we release the fish, by buddy is back to getting his fly off the log, but he's been broken off.
Next day I catch another fish around the dead fall, with buddy's fly in its mouth.
Trout released, fly returned to owner.

I still have unfinished business with your South Island rivers which seem to always be blown out for me.

Steve
Site Admin

Re: SI Report from Apr 2017

Post by Steve » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:35 am

Yes it doesn't matter how go the planning is - the weather always has the last say!! Just means you'll have to come back again!! :D

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi SIDROSE - THATS A REALLY GOOD FISHING YARN WITH SOME CHALLENGING MOMENTS AND DAYS . DROP TOOLS AND JUMP ON A PLANE TODAY ----- WE'RE HAVING THE BEST SPRING IN YEARS . I'VE BEEN CATCHING ON DRY FLY SINCE EARLY OCT - THATS REALLY EARLY FOR HIGH COUNTRY
(normally cold) LAKES AND THE WEATHER HAS MADE FOR VERY PLEASANT DAYS OUT . LAST SPRING WAS THE PITS WITH WET WEATHER SO I'M MAKING THE MOST OF THIS LOT . OUR WEATHER GODS NEED "OFFERINGS" FOR GUARANTEED FISHING WEATHER :P

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Here's an idea:

How about writing a fishing report and NOT naming where you fish, good or bad.

There are more than a few of us here in NZ that wont tell you the majority of places where we fish and with good reason. We also tend to frown on those who tell the whole world as well.

It's alright for a tourist who comes and fishes for a while then buggers off home. The locals have to put up with the fishing pressure all the time....

Our waters are under enough pressure already for all sorts of differing reasons and naming waters does not help.
Yes there are some waters around the traps that get seriously pressured and more and more each year get more and more attention.

Forum posts naming places fished doesn't help. Sets a bad precedent

sldrose

Post by sldrose » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:36 am

Johnno wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:16 pm
Here's an idea:

How about writing a fishing report and NOT naming where you fish, good or bad.
Scolded!

fair enough.

I just wanted to share my excitement and add back to the forum with some context.

I figured the audience on here was small (hadn't been any activity), those places were already written about, and the reports described difficult fishing. (Also, most visiting fishermen don't have the skill to catch nz trout.)
It's not quite the same as a post to youtube or Instagram.

It's tough for visiting anglers, we are after information. People are naturally reluctant to share (I totally understand why).
Sure it's great to make these discoveries on your own, but we don't always have the luxury.
If a buried forum post can help someone know where to go when the rivers are blown, or if a river is not worth the time, then that's all I'm looking to share.

But you're right, NZ is one of the last places where you can get a river to yourself for the whole day.
Better to keep it that way.

Let me know guys if you agree that I shared too much. I didn't mean to cause any animosity.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:13 am

Yea I hate to say it but I do feel that social media is killing trout fishing in NZ. Gone are the days of the person with the most willingness to put boots on and do some legwork discovering wonderful places to fish that many have not are gone! Now the person who is best at scanning online media finds the spots, only to turn up with 50 others :(

One of my favorite rivers suffered that doom when it caught the attention of overseas anglers and media. A once wonderful solo fishing spot was turned into a veritable shopping mall of those fishing. Thankful those sorts have very short attention spans and the place has now been forgotten by them, and I enjoy it once again. :P

Every year I get tighter and tighter lipped about the spots I fish. I recently let a tight group of friends in on a secret spot of mine, on the understanding it was to be kept tight within the group. Now I go in their, and there are randoms abound. No on keeps there mouth shut any more :cry:

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:48 pm

Gee fellas it seems a bit secret squirrel to me. I guess if you're based in Central Otago or somewhere similar that attracts thousands of tourists then this can be a concern but I've never experienced it in the NI.

I fish the Whirinaki, Ongarue, Maketawa, Waimiha, Manganui-o-teao, Whanganui etc - all great rivers but I very seldom encounter another angler and I'm happy not to keep these a secret. In fact some of them are very widely advertised as being a great place for a fish.

Isaak M

Post by Isaak M » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:12 pm

ziffle wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:48 pm
Gee fellas it seems a bit secret squirrel to me. I guess if you're based in Central Otago or somewhere similar that attracts thousands of tourists then this can be a concern but I've never experienced it in the NI.

I fish the Whirinaki, Ongarue, Maketawa, Waimiha, Manganui-o-teao, Whanganui etc - all great rivers but I very seldom encounter another angler and I'm happy not to keep these a secret. In fact some of them are very widely advertised as being a great place for a fish.
I used to live up in those parts and still regularly fish the rivers you name when I can, now living in the SI, very different story down here that's for sure, still some secret spots out there but come December/January just about every spot has been flogged to death by an ever increasing wave of people.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:56 am

Well Ziffle, the sad fact is it's not just Central Otago. As Central Otago gets worse ( if it can) pple will spread out to other places, transferring the problem with them

Canterbury, Nel-Marl, West Coast all now have issues with waters getting a lot of attention.

One river I fish, three four years ago I could wander up mid week and not see a soul. By last year, nearly every access point had not one but multiple camper vans and rentals on it many times when I went out. I drove two hours to a so called wilderness river access point to find three camper vans already there and another pulled up as I did. Wanting to fish. They told me they got the idea to go there from a FB post they'd seen. I drove back home.

There's a couple of West Coast Rivers I won't bother fishing now, despite doing so for years, they are just ridiculously crowded.

Another wilderness river which has huts on it regularly has anglers choppered in for days at a time, one group after another almost all season. In fact I can mention two others in a similar situation. Name me a wilderness river that can cope with that attention year after year.....

An Irishman I met fishing on river z told me about fishing in river X the previous day. That river is full of didymo. He hadn't washed or cleaned his gear. Not his problem he said. Sadly he's not alone.

So whilst it may seem unfriendly and unkiwi so to speak, I'd rather keep quiet about where I fish and so would many others. There are guide books out there. People can buy and read those. They don't need to just google fly fishing in NZ or come onto sites like this and get it for nothing. I can safely say this site and others are poured over a lot more than you'd probably care to imagine.

If you want to name your rivers up north, go right ahead but sadly, the chickens, one day, may come home to roost......

Flogger

Post by Flogger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:07 pm

"If you want to name your rivers up north, go right ahead but sadly, the chickens, one day, may come home to roost......"

And sooner than you may think. For whatever reason, NZ is still regarded by the rest of the world as one of the last great places to fish, so they flock here. We're complicit in that we don't do enough to regulate numbers, except on a very select few rivers.