New to fly fishing looking for some advice

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Purge

New to fly fishing looking for some advice

Post by Purge » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:17 pm

Afternoon all,

As mentioned I'm new to this malarky but very much keen to get started. I have fished all my life but never with a fly rod. Earlier this year I had a quick lesson with a friend but I was just practising casting in a field.

Im looking to buy some gear but don't have a huge amount of money to pump into this right now. I have been found a few rods on trademe but I would be keen to get some of your advice so I don't buy a herring and also so I get something suitable for a beginner. I don't need or want the latest and greatest (for now... :lol: ) just something to get me started. I'm living in Wanaka, so something to suit the local fisheries is what I'm after.

These 3 have caught my eye, let me know what you think:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1425643119

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1425745890

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1428133173

The other option is buying new, can't find much under $250 and Airflo Bandit from H&Fishing is the only option I have seen for the money I can spend.

Also if anyone lives in central Otago and would like an apprentice, look no further :D Beer or wine can be provided for information

Kind regards,

...and tight lines

Matt

Matt

Dave

Re: New to fly fishing looking for some advice

Post by Dave » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi Matt
I don't think I would touch any of those trade-me rods. The Airflo Bandit from Hunting and Fishing looks to be a good buy although I have not used one. However you need to decide what weight of rod you require. The bigger the number the heavier the rod. The Bandit is available in #5, #6, #7 & #8. Down here in Southland I would recommend the #6 but it depends on where you are going to fish. Generally the smaller the stream/river the lighter rod you can use. If you are going to fish the Clutha or the lakes I would go for a #7 or a #8 (this is the first time I have ever recommended a #8) but if you are looking at smaller rivers/streams I would go for the #6. The #6 will cover everything so is probably a good start. Some people will recommend the #5 but I have come across a lot of beginners who are struggling with a #5 especially if there is any wind. You should be able to cast further with the heavier rods as well as cope with more wind although for small river fishing a #6 is adequate even in windy conditions. Talk to your friend about what weight rod he is using and if you are going out with him that will give you a good idea. Check to see if there is a local Fishing Club that can help you out and I would also recommend going to a fly fishing course and try to go out with someone who knows what they are doing to learn the ropes.
Dave

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi MATT - I LIVE IN CENTRAL OTAGO BUT AM CERTAINLY NOT LOOKING FOR AN APPRENTICE - IN FACT IT'S ONLY NOW THAT I CONSIDER MYSELF TO BE FINISHING MY APPRENTICESHIP AFTER 5 yrs ON FLY . BEFORE THAT I HAD THREADLINED ALL MY LIFE .
WHEN DAVE SAYS HE WOULDN'T TOUCH ANY OF THOSE RODS I THINK HE WAS JUST REFERRING TO THE ONES YOU LISTED . YOU CAN GET SOME GREAT RODS ON TRADE ME BUT OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO BE PATIENT . I BOUGHT A CRACKER A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK .
YOU AND I HAVE MUCH IN COMMON - LACK OF FUNDS etc BUT DONT LET THAT PUT YOU OFF . I LEARNT ALONG THE WAY THAT YOU DON'T NEED FLASH GEAR BUT RATHER DISCIPLINE - ENTHUSIASM - PATIENCE AND DETERMINATION . KNOWLEDGE IS A REAL BONUS BUT WITH TIME THAT COMES ! I SPENT MANY HOURS ON COMPUTER AND ITS AMAZING WHAT IS OUT THERE. GOOD LUCK AND pm ME IF NEEDS BE ...... Al

Brown Trout Stalker

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Matt

A $250 rod is a good starting point.

Don't go for the most expensive line, get a cheap one because as a beginner you are more likely to damage your gear in the first year of use.
Broken tips, cut line etc.

Learn to cast well before you move to a more expensive rod, reel and line set up.
It's better to spend more on the rod and line than the reel.
Remember that the reel is just some place to store your line.
You can play a fish without a reel and using a bucket to drop the line into.

Last season I caught 2 brown trout at different times from the same lake. Both went 8 lbs.
One rod, line and reel outfit I bought from hunting and fishing for $100 and the other was on a rod, reel and line outfit costing $2500.
It's not about the equipment, it's about how you us it.

Learn first using the Hunting and Fishing outfit.
Once you've mastered the art of casting, then progress to more expensive equipment.

tight lines

Paul

PS. Learn to cast properly, it's THE most important aspect of fly fishing, otherwise you're might as well be pissing into a Nor' Wester.
It'll have the same affect going fly fishing and not being able to cast.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Purge

Post by Purge » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the replys.

Dave, sadly my friend who showed me how to cast lives in the USA, so he's no help.

Tiddler, is your keyboard broken or are you SHOUTING?! :lol: But thanks for the encouragement, I work in the evenings mostly so time is on my side. As I have all day to practice my cast.

BTS, that sounds like good advice and a good lesson: For it's not the equipment you use, but how you use it!

Found this on the FlyShop http://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/vector ... ckage.html Looks perfect for my needs, comes with everything to get me started. Also supporting the shop attached to the forum ;)

Matt

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Matt
Looks like a good starter setup. You just need to decide which weight you need.
** The # 6 weight is a general all round rod for streams, small to medium size rivers and lake edges
** The # 8 weight is a large river and lake rod (Ideal for the Tongariro River)
You will need a leader and some tippet.
By the way TIDDLER always types in capitals. He isn't yelling it just how he types.
Dave

Purge

Post by Purge » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks

Probs going for the #6.

Will keep you updated and be back for more info soon.

Cheers

Matt

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Always worth supporting a shop Matt, I buy plenty of items online as well but you can't beat the advice and contact you get from developing a relationship with your 'local' shop. My nearest fly shop is about 50 mins away, but I go past regularly through work and enjoy calling in picking up some bits and having a natter.

the_skunk_whisperer

Post by the_skunk_whisperer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:23 am

Ditto the not buying no name / unknown brand rods off trademe. I bought my first fly rod off trade, a "lyndon lines" set. Best bit of the kit was the wooden box it came in, still got it! As for the rod itself, it cast better after the top 30cm snapped off! No joke! It was just too soft in action. I would spend a couple hundy on an Airflo, I cast a bottom of the line Airflo a while back, forget the name, but found it more fun than one of my expensive rods.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 am

Hey there Matt. Not sure if your interested or not but I put my Redington CPS 9' 6# up for sale on here a few weeks back. Was looking for $250, but since your a new comer I will let you have it for $200. A lovely rod, that im sure will do you well for many years to come.

Oh and its a bit last minute, but im the president of the Wakatipu Anglers Club over here in Queenstown. We run a Fly fishing Course for people who are interested in fly fishing but don't know where to start. Its a comprehensive course run over 4 nights and one day. The course only costs $150, but its run here in Queenstown and starts tomorrow night :shock:

Here is a link to our FB site with the course flyer.

https://www.facebook.com/wakatipanglersclub/

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!