Lost Rivers

Issues affecting our sport...
Wacker

Lost Rivers

Post by Wacker » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi guys, nearly that time again though this has slightly dampened my enthusiasm (nothing new I know but a fairly stark reminder of current river quality issues). http://www.nzffa.co.nz/map.html
Seems I am living in the heart of death country :evil:

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Lost Rivers

Post by Steve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:48 am

Yes Wacker, right in the middle of it... It pretty sad when it's listed so visibly like this, hopefully the more it's highlighted the more likely it is that something is done about it.

We aren't as bad as the Waikato;

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:09 am

Steve how are you selecting lost rivers. There seem to be some highlighted on the map that are in pretty good shape.
Dave

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:24 pm

I AGREE DAVE - REFER MY POST OF SEPT 7th IN GENERAL FLY FISHING . PERSONALLY I DONT THINK IT SERVES US WELL TO PAINT A BLACKER PICTURE THAN FACTS BEAR OUT, IN THE SAME WAY AS IT DOESN'T SERVE NICK SMITH AND HIS ILK TO PAINT A ROSIER PICTURE !
Al.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:28 pm

The data used is most from the last angler surveys which is a couple of years old now, I tried to cross check with water quality and other obvious issues within a catchment, certainly open to corrections, but one thing to note is that the maps represent an inter-generational decline, and really, I suspect there are few lowland rivers that could truly claim to have stayed the same over time or improved, and it's not just fish numbers, part of the measure was the whole experience.

Re the Pomaharka, the water quality data is still poor according to the www.lawa.org.nz website, but I do note that farmers have been working hard to improve the river which is very good news;
pomaharka.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:31 pm

YEP ! SOME FARMERS ARE DOING EXCELLENT WORK DOWN THIS WAY . GOOD ON'EM :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/7482 ... wins-natio

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Yeah right on tiddler - it's really good to see, and shows that by acknowledging there is a problem and getting stuck in that they can make a difference, hopefully the example set by these good guys becomes the norm, be good to see it spread to Canterbury where many are still in total denial

the_skunk_whisperer

Post by the_skunk_whisperer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:57 pm

I would love to see this skull 'n' cross bones system integrated into roadside river signs. Of course will never happen, but it would be a good way to capture tourists attention.

I stopped off by the Cust the other day cos it had a nice flow and it was a lovely day. There isn't even one of those yellow river signs by the bridge ; - ( They could at least acknowledge that it is a river and has a name.