Scott S4. Very floppy

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
flyfish

Re: Scott S4. Very floppy

Post by flyfish » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Disagree with Clark for once on the S4, absolutely canned one (S4 690/4) back-country this past season and was surprised with the knocks it took - battle-scarred would be an understatement, it was not a rod I liked to be honest though, it was quite soft right through and failed to generate much line-speed for me no matter how much it was pushed, especially at range with a big Cicada, however it was a great roll casting rod and general Tongariro nymph rod for me. I landed my full 92kg force on it between two rocks in a fall, and I kid you not, not a fracture to be seen, tough in my books.

I also have the S4S New Zealand special as my big water rod, and it is a TOTALLY different beast to the S4, love it, fast, originally a saltwater blank and just about perfect for the Tongariro and lakes, I like it as much as my 9'6" 6wt Radian, but it's action is faster. Everyone is different however, what suits one person, will not for another. I know the S4 is marketed as fast, but it's certainly not, more a medium action - however the 9' 8wt should have no issues with bombs on the Tongariro!

Scott blanks are un-sanded, I like this a lot for strength, the graphite wraps are not sanded away, this may off-set the thin blanks somewhat, but Scott and breakages is something I personally don't hear a lot about, perhaps as there are less of them kicking around than Sage.

ozswitch

Post by ozswitch » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:52 pm

I will add to my other comment with the point that whilst most typical 8wt lines should handle throwing junk with an indicator it will depend on the line, im not a fan of over lining rods (like sum1 else mentioned earlier in the thread) but there is a lot to be said about different tapers for a different purpose, if you have a standard taper line with a nice slim taper to the tip its not gonna want to bowl over a lot of heavy junk plus an indicator very easily, simple physics covers that.
If i was to do a large amount of junk tossing i would invest in a line that does the job with ease, forget delicate presentation, you are casting to fish that are deep, dont thrash the water to a foam but u arent presenting to a big cruiser thats delicately sipping size 22 spent spinners off the surface, get the job done as easily as possible, im sure most of the line manufacturers have a dedicated nymphing line, would be my first point of call if i did a lot of junk tossing :)

TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Deleted...

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:29 am

AH trash talking rod brands hey? Nice way to enamor yourself to this forum bro! :lol: :lol:

Please proceed to tell us all how if we aren't fishing with the one rod you do we are all WRONG :roll:

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:17 am

Yep, absolute load of drivel right there Fraser... agree! Anyone who places the Yellowstone Angler shootout as the holy grail of rods reviews... well... oh my!

TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Deleted...

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:28 am

Think you missed the point Taxi driver? I wasn't trying to spruke Scott rods, merely saying that that his first post was just trying to trash talk Scott rods.

Hell go love what ever rod you want to, but please lets not get into that childish crap of knocking a rod just because you dont like it. Id like to think we are a bit more mature than that on this forum! I couldn't care less if the rod was made out of spaghetti and dried pasta sauce, if I liked the feel of the rod for a purpose then its a great rod to me.

God help anyone with that attitude if they jumped on the Fiberglass manifesto site?? :lol: :lol:

CD rods are still about and doing a great job. Iv got a few of there latest offerings and love them. I broke one (my own fault. Fish swam between my legs) and the backup was outstanding!! Fixed in under a week 8-)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Brown Trout Stalker

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:15 pm

It's not the Brand, Weight or Size of the Rod that counts ;) ;) ;)

It's how well you use it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:55 pm

ITS NOT FISHING BUT I CAN'T RESIST .......

tiny old NZ....... HAS JUST WON - the big old - AMERICAS CUP

WE ACHIEVED THAT BY INNOVATIVE DESIGN AND USE OF FIBRE GLASS AND CARBON FIBRE TECHNOLOGY (and of course a better team :P )

Al.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:18 pm

So Mr Taxidriver I see from your email you're a looptaxidriver - think you need to be careful on what you post if you are having a go at reputed international brands, as some of them don't take kindly to their products being misrepresented, if you are going to make claims you need to back them up, so sorry I've had to remove your posts