Oreti River Cycle trail proposed again!

Issues affecting our sport...
Mike H

Re: Oreti River Cycle trail proposed again!

Post by Mike H » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:17 pm

Last chance for final submissions guys!

wildfisher

Post by wildfisher » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Chris Dore wrote:Bump. Let's hear how international anglers feel about an accessible trophy trout fishery, with a real sense of remoteness facing development detracting from the naturalness and intactness of it's existing scenic environment.
That's a difficult one Chris. I have only made 4 fishing trips to New Zealand and I am about to make my 5th and now probably final trip. I have never fished the Oreti although I have fished several other rivers / lakes in the area.

Here in Scotland we get this reaction all the time – landowners who don't want folks on their ground, salmon anglers who don't want to share the water with trout anglers, shooters wanting the wild land for themselves etc etc.

I sometimes cycle into more remote areas of the Scottish hills to fish and have never really considered it a problem. A bicycle is “an aid to the pedestrian”, not a vehicle – are anglers in big gas guzzling 4X4s or flying around in helicopters not more intrusive that some guy quietly passing by on a bicycle?

As a foreign visiting angler who is only going to be in the country for a month every few years at the most, and who is now, incidentally, being discriminated against albeit in a small way by the new license fee structure I'm not sure we or our views are really welcome and I don't believe it's really appropriate for foreigners to be getting involved in this.

This is a matter for the people of New Zealand, not just anglers, all of the people of New Zealand.

Kiwioz

Post by Kiwioz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 am

Hi Wildisher,
The economic appraisal for the project postulates 80,000 visits in year 5. This can't be compared to the occasional foray of a mountain biker to a remote area. Insanely unsustainable in my opinion. I objected as a kiwi residing in Aust who spends time in the region a couple of times a year - outraged at the commercial / development encroachment on wild places as much as for the probable loss of the trophy fishery. Incremental loss of such places should be a concern to everyone where ever they are.
Cheers,
Kiwioz

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 pm

I want to know why its perceived as been unacceptable to have a cycle trail through the valley, when a walk track already exist and most of the Oreti valley already has a big road running through it with F&G access points that allow us fishers to drive our vehicles directly to the side of the river at these places? :?

Cars are acceptable, but cyclist aren't? :roll:

(quietly waits to be shot at :shock: )

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

upstream

Post by upstream » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:48 pm

I didn't make a submission because I don't feel strongly enough about the issue. A cycle path seems benign enough to me compared to the other dangers that face our rivers: hydro development, agricultural and other pollution, erosion, water abstraction, privatisation.

I can see how those who fish the river regularly would be upset by a loss of isolation. But on the whole I see cyclists, trampers, hunters, etc as our friends. The more people using our wild places the better it is for their protection.

I have made plenty of submissions on other threats to our rivers, but I couldn't quite find the passion to put pen to paper on this one.

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:33 pm

fraser hocks wrote:I want to know why its perceived as been unacceptable to have a cycle trail through the valley, when a walk track already exist and most of the Oreti valley already has a big road running through it with F&G access points that allow us fishers to drive our vehicles directly to the side of the river at these places? :?

No it doesn't. Go and actually visit the valley fraser and read the proposal before you comment. You obviously don't understand which part of the river we are discussing

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:40 pm

There is a couple of great fisheries in the Wellington / Wairarapa regions serviced by cycle trails, the amount of rubbish left by cyclists is unreal, especially burst inner tubes that are chucked in the river and energy bars / gel sachets / plastic bottles discarded by the river banks is disgusting. The Oreti is a stunning valley and magnificent fishery and IMO preserving it's natural qualities as much as possible should be very important.

I'm not against cycle trails at all, and if you look at many of my clips I use a Mountain Bike as a form of transport on many watersheds and farm tracks.... but in this Valley... no way...

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Chris Dore wrote:
fraser hocks wrote:I want to know why its perceived as been unacceptable to have a cycle trail through the valley, when a walk track already exist and most of the Oreti valley already has a big road running through it with F&G access points that allow us fishers to drive our vehicles directly to the side of the river at these places? :?

No it doesn't. Go and actually visit the valley fraser and read the proposal before you comment. You obviously don't understand which part of the river we are discussing
Know all about the proposal. Yes iv read the entire thing, as well as all the appendices and visited / fished the location of the proposal (above Oreti Rd to North to where the Mt Nicolas Rd crosses the Oreti again. The Lincoln Hut section) that you obviously feel so strongly about. Sorry but i just aint with you on this one mate.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

wildfisher

Post by wildfisher » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:58 pm

flyfish wrote:There is a couple of great fisheries in the Wellington / Wairarapa regions serviced by cycle trails, the amount of rubbish left by cyclists is unreal
Here in Scotland anglers are amongst the biggest offenders for littering. If I was a land owner I'd rather have cyclists than anglers on my land. Not being a Kiwi I can't really comment, but going on my experiences here at home I would have thought banning motorized vehicle and helicopter access (including for anglers) would be more effective in keeping an area pristine than banning pushbikes.

In the lazy modern world few things are more effective in limiting pressure of numbers than the need for long, hard, hurting miles of self propulsion.

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:07 am

Well fraser there are no vehicle access points through the section they propose to carve the trail through. It's 20 odd km of internationally renouned trophy trout fishery, protected by a water conservation order due to its wild and scenic nature

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com