(Rene's) drop shot nymph set up

Discus tips on techniques, styles and tactics here
OneHairyArm

(Rene's) drop shot nymph set up

Post by OneHairyArm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:49 am

Occasionally I actually read some of the propaganda that comes through on FB. This one caught my attention especially with the up and coming Rage trip. If you haven't seen it here's the link http://www.manictackleproject.com/techy ... -nymphing/

The main points I have taken from it are the sink rate of braid, the wear resistance and the ability to use shot instead of bomb type flies, meaning more attractive flies can be fished. However, there are a few issues I still wonder about

I can see the beauty of not having to use a bomb meaning a imitation fly can be used but wouldn't the high visibility of the braid spook the fish? In fast broken water I can see this being a non issue but in the deeper pools surely 12-14 ft of Braid would spook? The only thing I could think of was that your fishing to fish that are raging or near to it so stealth goes out the window. Or is the ability to get deeper quicker balanced against occasionally spooking a few?? Or are central N.I bows really that dumb???

Secondly, the set up. What knot would you use to connect to the fly line. Most lines I have are looped but one or two would need a nail knot or braided connector. So what knot would hold best???

Has anyone used this set up, how did it go? Or am I best to stick with the mono???

Cheers

"If you want to catch beasts you don't see everyday.
You have to go places quite out of the way.
You have to go places others can't get to.
You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too" Dr Seuss.

OneHairyArm

Re: (Rene's) drop shot nymph set up

Post by OneHairyArm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:12 am

Amendment: just re-read. Yes for clear water traditional leaders would be better. Still something to think/play with. :D

"If you want to catch beasts you don't see everyday.
You have to go places quite out of the way.
You have to go places others can't get to.
You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too" Dr Seuss.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Bloody genius Rene!

I'd suggest that you would be surprised as to how little the vision range is of the fish down deep that you can see in Tonga. Its really interesting taking a waterproof camera fishing with you. Some of these big rivers appears super clear and you can see the bottom in a 20' deep pool. Pop the camera on video, and put it under the surface and video you hand 2' upstream of the camera and you will often be surprise that often can't even see your hand. Still I'm sure that there will be times when this style will spook fish, but on the Tonga specifically I reckon it will cath more than it will spook.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Kym

Post by Kym » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:32 pm

I can't believe I missed this post. Fascinating stuff. And to think I was just looking at spools of braid in the tackle shop yesterday wondering what I could possibly use them for. Now I've got some ideas :D