Easiest Method to construct a Loop

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
raven6

Easiest Method to construct a Loop

Post by raven6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a Tenny T-300 fly line which doesn't have a connection loop in the sink tip end. I was wondering if anybody could point me towards the best method to construct a loop in the end of it?

Andy W

Re: Easiest Method to construct a Loop

Post by Andy W » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:19 pm

WTF - I typed a reply to this and it disappeared??

Try this web site for a method to attached a loop made from braided dacron http://www.stripersonline.com/t/583958/ ... -loop-knot. You can use a bobbin threader as a splicing needle.

They are dead easy to make.

Chris Dore

Post by Chris Dore » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Just splice on a braided loop. Easy as

Chris Dore
Queenstown
www.chrisdore.com

SteveO

Post by SteveO » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:27 am

Probably not the easiest to do straight off ,but with practice i would call it easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cONydFcpYtk

bopfisher

Post by bopfisher » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:41 pm

Gray's loop.jpg
After years of using a braided loop, I now use what's known as a gray's loop, I find it really good when using a loop to loop leader to flyline conection as the leader can't "bite" into the nylon loop, thus making leaders changes easier when it's so damn cold you can't feel your fingers :shock:
Here's the link: http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/fishing-k ... s-loop.htm
The above link was not working when I tried it, even though it has worked in the past, but I'm sure if you googled gray's loop it will come up with something usefull.
Note also how the loop is nicely in line with the fly line as it actually exits from middle of the fly line itself.

cheers

bopfisher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:44 pm

I reckon minimum bulk is the way to go - strip off approx 3cm of the fly line outer with your teeth (probably why I have chips in my front teeth!) or Acetone, double over and whip several times to form a 1cm whip - superglue / aquaseal it and done - very minimal bulk and extremely strong. Dab a black vivid on it if you want super stealth loop which can be an advantage fishing a short leader on a sinking head.