Breathable Waders

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Maniototoflyfisher

Breathable Waders

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:27 am

Looking at getting a new pair of waders. My 10 year old Simms have been great but I'm almost over repeatedly trying to seal the pin pricks.
Do I splash out on the new Simms camo G3 ones or go for one of the lightweight Orvis or Patagonia ones?
Your thoughts please.

fraser hocks

Re: Breathable Waders

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:40 am

Good question. Iv bought a new pair of Simms G3's at the start of winter. Great bit of kit. I have to say though that Simms gear seems to have sky rocketed in price over the last few years. Once these ones are dead, I think il be strongly considering other brands, purely based on price.

I have friends who have Redington's and Patagonias and both love them, after having Simms in the past. Durability will be my big question. I know Simms last very well, will the others? Im not sure.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:56 pm

I went through the same thought process for the start of this season (UK.. so had a full summer in them now).. i’d always bought SIMMS, but couldn’t really afford a new pair when I was looking to purchase.
I asked a friend who is a guide in the U.K. and fishes them hard all season what he used- Reddingtons (he’s tried pretty much all makes of wader and said these were tough) and then by chance I fished with someone in Wales who also highly rated Reddingtons.
So, I bought a pair of the Reddingtons pro-hd’s.... they’ve been fantastic, comfy, well thought out, not noticeably hotter than Simms and I would say at least as tough, if not slightly tougher. They still aren’t cheap, but are noticeably cheaper than the top end Simms and Patagonia’s.

HareNcopA

Post by HareNcopA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:39 am

My pair of Simms Freestones leaked like a sieve after a few years - and have also had a buddy who returned 3 pairs before picking up a pair of Redingtons.

Have just purchased a new pair of Redington Sonic Pro HDs - very comfy to wear and plenty of pockets on the chest.

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Waders..............pffftttttt :roll:

You guys need to "Take a teaspoon of cement and harden up" 8-)

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Pop down here and have a full days fishing with me when its -4 Celsius Jim. Would sir like a stint in hospital? Iv had frost nip the pre-to frost bite. Basically the skin on the tips of your toes goes black and eventually falls off. I know the dangers of ignoring the cold.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Stroof, :o
Fair dinkum mate...……... :o

Rumrunner

Post by Rumrunner » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 am

I've just done the same - my Riverworks breathables developed multiple pin point leaks and failed around the boot/fabric join so I went Simms G3 Guides. Although I wanted to stay NZ made I can't fault the G3s for comfort, fit and breathability so far.

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. Eventually bought a pair of Redington SonicPro HDZ waders through Flyshop. Very good service and price - thanks Steve. First use today and so far very happy with them. Like the zip and the waterproof pockets - time will tell how durable they are.